Rezoning Duplex to Four Unit Multifamily in Northeast LA

Rezoning Duplex to Four Unit Multifamily in Northeast LA

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes

Hello, I've been looking to purchase a duplex in Northeast Los Angeles. The seller's agent told me that there is potential with this property to change the zoning codes to accommodate more units.  How can I verify this is true before moving forward with the purchase? 

Thanks!

mario

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
9y
I'm not sure what everyone keeps saying to talk to LADBS about a zoning matter. It's the Planning Dept who you would talk to. Anyway, a zone change for one little parcel is highly unlikely and not worth the trouble. Doing zone changes in the city of LA is very difficult and can take 1-2 years, not to mention the expense.
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    I've been trying to learn a bit about this myself in the same area as you.  Are you sure he was talking about changing the zoning code?  Or was it just that the the property wasn't maxed out for the zone that it is already designated for?  What zone is the property?  LAR3?

    Also, you can find summaries here: https://planning.lacity.org/zone_code/Appendices/s...

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @David Eiges Hey David!  I think it's currently a R2...duplex.  So I'm wondering if it's possible to change something like this to a 4plex?

  • Real Estate Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    If it is in fact R2, you would have to get the zone changed, which based on my limited understanding is not a process that's very doable.  On the other hand, if it's RD2, you can have 1 unit for every 2,000 sq ft of lot space.  I'm not an expert, so hopefully someone else can chime in to confirm.  

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    I just looked it up. It's an RD2 and has 4000 sq ft of lot space. So is it possible to change it to RD4 in this case?  Or anything more than that?

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Califor....

    I found some interesting information on this page. Seems like the overall lot size would need to be much bigger to accommodate four units.  So I wonder why my agent told me this could be rezone for more units.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    You would need to get it changed to R3 which allows one unit per 800 sq ft.  Your best bet is probably to reach out to the city that the property is in as this is probably a case-by-case situation.  If you do, I'm curious to hear what you find out.  Also, if the property has tenants under rent control, make sure you consider that you'll have to have a plan to move them out.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    It's very unlikely that you'll be able to change the zoning. Do not purchase that property with the idea of turning it into four units. If the numbers check out for two units then go for it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    Also, check with Building and Safety about the process of doing such a zoning change, they should be able to at least give you an estimated timeline. Depending on where this property is located, you potentially would also have to deal with neighborhood council approval, a design board, and the neighborhood residents themselves. I know a few development projects in my neighborhood have been stalled due to my neighbors protesting at the various meetings the projects required approval from. I agree with the previous suggestion, if the numbers work for 2 units, go for it.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed It's pretty discouraging trying to find a place where the numbers make sense in Los Angeles. Don't think this duplex would be considered a great deal but it would be a start and a foot in the door with some potential in a neighborhood that is changing.  With some rehabbing, it could be a decent place to solve a couple of issues. Getting out of rent and finding a place for my mom to live in.  Would it make sense to get into a mediocre deal for these reasons?  I don't think I'll make much cash flow from this but perhaps it could be a great way to lock in a mortgage before inflation gets any worse. Does my logic make sense here or am I walking into a bad move?

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @David Eiges  ther eis one tenant but they will move once the property is sold.  I wonder if the property would be sold off by the time I get all the information about the zoning. Sounds like a long process but I'll ask my agent about it to see if he has any thoughts on who to contact

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Go down to LADBS and talk to someone in zoning. I can almost guarantee you that you will not be able to do anything to change the zoning but you should be able to find out today. 

    As far as purchasing the property, without seeing the property (location, numbers, renovation costs, etc.) I can't really give any advice on whether it's a good deal.  

  • Pacific Palisades, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    From what I understand a lot has to be min 5000 sq ft to be a multiunit property. However I have seen some multifamily under 5000 sq ft of lot that appear to be grandfathered in.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I wnonder how the Rent control in Los angeles area ?  How that impact on the multifamily at that regions? 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @Archie Robb I went to the LADBS today and they said that's it's extremely  unlikely that I could add anymore units on this piece of land so you were right. Thanks for the advice though. I didn't know you could find out about that information so quickly.

    0k

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @Kent Newmark  Yes you're right. This particular lot is only 4000 so I'm kind of tied to the duplex long term unless something miraculous happens which I can't count on.  There is definitely rent control in this area.

  • Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
    9y
    I'm not sure what everyone keeps saying to talk to LADBS about a zoning matter. It's the Planning Dept who you would talk to. Anyway, a zone change for one little parcel is highly unlikely and not worth the trouble. Doing zone changes in the city of LA is very difficult and can take 1-2 years, not to mention the expense.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @Bryant Brislin  The zoning department sent me to planning. They told me the same thing you're saying haha. So I'm bailing on this deal.  Too much rehab on the duplex and no opportunities to add units. Not a great deal at all.  You guys have been extremely helpful though. Thanks so much!

  • Fresno, CA · Member since 2015 · 552 posts · 181 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bryant Brislin:

    I'm not sure what everyone keeps saying to talk to LADBS about a zoning matter. It's the Planning Dept who you would talk to. Anyway, a zone change for one little parcel is highly unlikely and not worth the trouble. Doing zone changes in the city of LA is very difficult and can take 1-2 years, not to mention the expense. I'm a land broker who sells land in LA for new development, FYI.

    Great advice Bryant. I think a lot of people get building and planning mixed up.  I used to develop in LA.  I got out of LA because of the way the city council was headed. There's too many entitled people in LA but now it's in every city of California. Even Sacramento, all of Bay, Central orange county is getting that way.  San diego too. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @Bryant Brislin @Susan O.  It's unbelievable how difficulty seemingly simple things can be in LA.  I have another question regarding a duplex I am looking into which does not have any sort of parking. There is a lot of space in front of the duplex to build a carport or some kind of parking. Would something like that be impossible to pass through building and planning too?  And how about adding a bathroom to one of the units?  

    thanks!

    mario

  • Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
    9y
    Mario Furmanczyk I would suggest starting with talking to someone at the planning counter at either the office in downtown on Figueroa or at the office in Van Nuys. If you don't need a variance or anything, they will probably direct you to Building and Safety to figure out what the next steps would be. A contractor would be able to help you navigate this process as well, of course.
  • Fresno, CA · Member since 2015 · 552 posts · 181 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mario F.:

    @Bryant Brislin @Susan O.  It's unbelievable how difficulty seemingly simple things can be in LA.  I have another question regarding a duplex I am looking into which does not have any sort of parking. There is a lot of space in front of the duplex to build a carport or some kind of parking. Would something like that be impossible to pass through building and planning too?  And how about adding a bathroom to one of the units?  

    thanks!

    mario

     Did you ever figure this out as far as rezoning in Los Angeles did you propose it to the building department?

  • Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
    9y
    You always start with the Planning Dept when it comes to a re-zone. If anyone has more questions, feel free to contact me. Zone changes can be very difficult in the city of LA.
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    I looked into it and found out that it was going to be a huge issue rezoning this duplex so I didn't go for it.  Instead, I bought a fourplex in inglewood. Super excited!  Problem solved! haha

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.