Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Mabery
Votes |
How best to market an assumable VA loan?

Nathan Mabery
Posted May 23 2024, 09:25

Hello BP Family! 

Like many of you I myself am a real estate agent! With the landscape of today's interest rates how would you go about marketing a property for sale that has an assumable loans? Are you aware of any restrictions in place? Looking forward to any and all suggestions and advice!

User Stats

Votes
Randy Rodenhouse
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied May 24 2024, 06:01

There are now a few website platforms where they list houses with assumable loans like Assumable (I think .io) and Roam.  Just google these two to get more info.  Of course, sometimes it's difficult to sell a house this way if you have alot of equity since the buyer will have to come to the closing table with that amount of money before assuming the loan.   

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied May 24 2024, 06:40

Learn about the loan products you're trying to market to make sure you're adequately representing your client.

A VA loan is assumable by anyone - not just those who qualify for a VA loan through their service. HOWEVER, it's an almost 100% bad idea for the holder of said loan to allow a non-vet to assume their loan unless they know that person.

The VA loan that gets assumed by the vet transfers the entitlement to the new borrower.
The VA loan that gets assumed by a non vet binds the entitlement to the original borrower and if that new borrower defaults, the original borrower loses that amount of their entitlement forever. 

An FHA loan can be assumed by anyone who qualifies for the loan.

But in all cases, the new borrower will most likely have to bring an enormous amount of cash to closing. There's the down payment, the closing costs AND the delta between what's left on the loan and their offered price.

AND don't forget the time involved to assume the loan. You're going through a process, and it can take 3 months or more. In order for me, the seller, to assume the risk of you not qualifying for the loan, you losing your job at the last minute, you changing your mind, etc, I'd want a higher offer price - which means you're bringing even more money to the table.

The idea of an assumable loan is awesome, but frequently does not pan out. I wonder if there are any stats to show what percentage of properties marketed with an assumable loan actually had the loan assumed?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.