Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Lexi Blevins
Votes |
Residential Assisted Living- What is up with this?

Lexi Blevins
Posted

Hey y’all currently in the process of renovating a 5B 3B house for rent. My original plan was just to flip this like everything else. I recently heard about residential assisted living facilities. Has anyone actually started one of these? Are they as passive as I have heard about? Would love to pick your brain if you have actually done one! 

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Lexi Blevins:

Hey y’all currently in the process of renovating a 5B 3B house for rent. My original plan was just to flip this like everything else. I recently heard about residential assisted living facilities. Has anyone actually started one of these? Are they as passive as I have heard about? Would love to pick your brain if you have actually done one! 

My partner & I are familiar with this strategy.  I'll reach out via DM.

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lexi Blevins
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Crystal Smith:

Thank you!!!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied
Quote from @Crystal Smith:

I’m ears too!!:)

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

@Lexi Blevins, if you haven't already, explore the investment strategy of rent-by-the-room. Depending on the property's location, it could perform very well as a co-living asset (3x of a traditional rental). Companies such as HomeRoom and PadSplit will help you get started and source tenants. If you are interested, I'd be happy to make intros. 

Unfortunately, I'm not well-versed in assisted living but I understand the strategy can be lucrative. 

I hope this provides some guidance and clarity! 

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied

Hey @Lexi Blevins! You're going to want to start by checking with local zoning and planning to determine is the home can become residential assisted living. Sometimes it has to be zoned properly or it might need to be a specific distance from an already licensed home.

Then you need to determine the licensing requirements and see if you can meet those. Often times there are bedroom size requirements, residential sprinkler system requirements, among others.

You'll want to then check the state regulation agency and review their requirements and licensing process. 

If you plan to operate the entire business, that will be work. But if there are enough bedrooms or you get multiple homes, you will be able to support hiring a local manager to manage daily operations. 

You can also do what I do and lease the home TO an operator. Make the home licensable and tailored to residential assisted living, and then lease it at a higher than market rate to an operator who will run their own business out of your home. Finding the right operator is the key here but once you do it's passive for 3-5 years as a commercially leased home. They even handle most maintenance and all utilities. Pretty sweet arrangement! 

User Stats

Votes
Ian Martin
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Boston, MA
Replied
Quote from @Charlie Cameron:

Hey @Lexi Blevins! You're going to want to start by checking with local zoning and planning to determine is the home can become residential assisted living. Sometimes it has to be zoned properly or it might need to be a specific distance from an already licensed home.

Then you need to determine the licensing requirements and see if you can meet those. Often times there are bedroom size requirements, residential sprinkler system requirements, among others.

You'll want to then check the state regulation agency and review their requirements and licensing process. 

If you plan to operate the entire business, that will be work. But if there are enough bedrooms or you get multiple homes, you will be able to support hiring a local manager to manage daily operations. 

You can also do what I do and lease the home TO an operator. Make the home licensable and tailored to residential assisted living, and then lease it at a higher than market rate to an operator who will run their own business out of your home. Finding the right operator is the key here but once you do it's passive for 3-5 years as a commercially leased home. They even handle most maintenance and all utilities. Pretty sweet arrangement! 

Hey Charlie, where are your assisted living facilities and how much over market rate rent are you able to get for them vs renting them as long term rentals? 

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied

@Ian Martin It's going to depend heavily on what the home can be licensed for, the finish of the home, and how many residents it can be licensed for. But it ends up being around 3X the long term rent. 
Having been heavily in short term rentals for a while, I've found this to be about as much work up front, but we don't have to furnish, we don't have the management nightmares that STRs bring, we make as much or more cash flow, and we handle less maintenance than a traditional SFR. We're signing 3-5 year escalating commercial leases, which is awesome.

Generally, what we've been estimating is that if this is a pretty nice residential assisted living home, that we will get $800-1100 PER resident. 

The hard parts are ensuring you can have a home that can be licensed for as many residents as possible (comfortably) and finding a well qualified operator to lease it to. Licensing requirements vary heavily by locality and usually the home will need to have a sprinkler system, bedroom size requirements, there may need to be min distance to any other licensed homes, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

it's great to hear about your property renovation! I suggest starting with an unlicensed group home. It's a simpler entry point and aligns well with serving protected classes like veterans, seniors, and single mothers—key to ensuring stability against HOA or city issues.

Begin connecting with non-profits and agencies that help these groups find housing. They're often on the lookout for properties like yours and have the funds but lack real estate connections. This relationship guarantees income, as payments come directly from these organizations, not the individuals.

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Olson
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

I'm fascinated by this RAL concept and wonder if any of you are serious about moving forward or maybe are in process? So many steps but potentially very lucrative.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I own and operate Platinum Resort Assisted Living in Georgetown, Texas. I am VERY familiar with this strategy

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Davis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brevard County, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brevard County, FL
Replied

Whoever said that an assisted living facility is a passive real estate investment is lying. It's a full-blown business with staff. 

The medical industry is fueled by referrals, so you'll need to get out there and build relationships that will keep your facility full. 

It's also about filling the gap in your area for insurance. For example, in your area are there no assisted livings that will accept Medicaid, Blue Cross Blue Shield, etc.? These days insurance companies have the reputation for paying you for the service and then trying to claw back the money later. 

Can you make money? Absolutely! Is it passive? No.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

i’m looking into this as well. I have a property with a concrete wheelchair ramp. figured someone would love this. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Rodolfo Loureiro
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

I have also been looking into this strategy in Florida and would love to connect with anyone who has experience with this.

User Stats

Votes
D. Dee
Votes |

@Lovenia Chead are you currently doing this? I would love to hear more of your experience.

User Stats

Votes
D. Dee
Votes |

@Laura Chotkevys how much capital would you recommend for starting this type of business?

User Stats

Votes
Alex Lee
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New York City
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • New York City
Replied

This is something I've been mulling over and I admit that I'm kind of curious to know how it all works (regulations, certifications, process) 

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @D. Dee:

@Laura Chotkevys how much capital would you recommend for starting this type of business?

We partner with individuals who want to start their own Assisted Living Mansion. The upfront capital needed is around 50k.  On our first deal we used $0 of our own money. We raised money for the gap funds on our deal.  

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied
Quote from @Laura Chotkevys:
Quote from @D. Dee:

We partner with individuals who want to start their own Assisted Living Mansion. The upfront capital needed is around 50k.  On our first deal we used $0 of our own money. We raised money for the gap funds on our deal.  

Laura and Brett are the real deal! Looking forward to my podcast interview with Brett next week! Like @Laura Chotkevys said, you can raise money, creatively finance from the seller, partner, get lower money down loans (SBA - although this is harder for the first deal sometimes), get a private note... lots of ways to go about this with low money down if you put in the work and know how much you need. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Charlie Cameron What's your podcast?

User Stats

Votes
Charlie Cameron
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Niceville, FL
Replied
Quote from @Nichole Kinard:

@Charlie Cameron What's your podcast?

Hey Nicole! It is launching in about a week. The RAL Room assisted living Podcast.