Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Huntsville Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Richie Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
Hazel Green- too far for commuters?

Richie Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sedona, AZ
Posted

Hey y'all, I'm an out-of-state investor working with a realtor on my first investment property.  I had initially sent her several listings in Madison proper, but apparently all 3 were already under contract.  She mentioned the market for resale properties is super-hot in Madison right now, and she suggested I check out a certain planned community nearby.   I just checked Google Maps, and apparently the development is in Hazel Green, just off the 431.  I see that makes it about 30 minutes from (for example) Redstone Arsenal, which I know is a major employer.  It's only about 19 min from the big new Facebook Data Center, which doesn't sound too bad to me.  That said, I'm not a local and I'm not sure what commute time most locals are used to.  Would these commute times make my rental unattractive to a local renter?

Also, would y'all agree with my realtor that a new construction home is a viable path forward, considering the competitiveness of the local market?  I do like the idea of buying a home where everything is still under warranty, although the idea of buying something that doesn't exist yet gives me some pause.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Laines
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied
Quote from @Richie Thomas:

Hey gang, big update from my end- just had my offer accepted on a 4-BR SFH in Madison proper! It was an MLS listing and it did go over asking price, but honestly not as much as I was led to believe it might. My realtor said it's common for listings to go $30-50k over list price, I got the property for $18k over asking. Not a brand-new build but age-wise it's not even a teenager yet. :-)

@Michael S.I took your advice to heart when deciding whether to purchase in Hazel Green.  And (hopefully) this property will be less sensitive to market corrections, as you mentioned.  Maybe I'll look again at Hazel Green in the future since it seemed like a lot of people felt there was upside there, but you asked some tough-but-fair questions that I'm also curious to hear the answers to.  All in all, I feel like Madison is a good fit for me to get my foot in the door, build my local team, and get to know the local market better.

Curious, did you eventually invest in the Hazel Green area? How did your 4BR SFH do in Madison proper these last 2 years?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hansen
  • Investor
  • Madison, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison, AL
Replied

Ex-Californian (from OC) here, the commute is nothing.  Traffic here is not bad.  I think buying in Hazel Green is no problem.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.