Portfolio Lenders in Utah (northern utah)

Portfolio Lenders in Utah (northern utah)

Creative Director · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been as active on the site lately. It's time for me to get back in. I'm learning and doing as much research possible on portfolio lenders in northern utah. I just purchased a condo with a partner that doesn't qualify for conventional financing due to HOA restrictions / issues. I'm hoping to find local utah portfolio lenders and get more advice on portfolio lending in Utah (northern utah specifically). Any leads?

Thx!! 

2Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Dentist · Taylorsville, UT · Member since 2013 · 102 posts · 68 votes
11y

Several credit unions offer them as well. America First, Goldenwest and University Federal. Talk to their business lending department(s).

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Licensed Real Estate Agent · Provo, UT · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    I know of two in Utah, I've actually had a loan from Washington Federal.  At the time they required a 25% down payment and the interest rate was higher than normal.

    Frontier Bank
    [email protected]
    801-562-2272

    Washington Federal
    [email protected]

    (801) 501-7529

    Best of luck,

    Tim

  • Creative Director · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Tim Mellor  Thx for the reply!  I'll check out both of those banks, I hadn't talked to them yet!

    @Christal Bowlby There were 2 HOA restrictions that we ran into I believe. #1 - Too many of the units are being used as rentals in the HOA community. #2 - Too many people are past due / late on their HOA fee's in the community.

  • Dentist · Taylorsville, UT · Member since 2013 · 102 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    Several credit unions offer them as well. America First, Goldenwest and University Federal. Talk to their business lending department(s).

  • Creative Director · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Tyler Williams.  Good thought.

  • Dentist · Taylorsville, UT · Member since 2013 · 102 posts · 68 votes
    11y
    Taylor Ballam any luck with a portfolio lender? I'm interested to know what other local banks have good options.
  • Creative Director · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Tyler Williams  Still working on it but so far these are the two options I've found...

    Lewiston State Bank & Goldenwest commercial loan department.  I haven't had a chance to do a lot more talking with people but these are 2 good ones to add to your list.

  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    Talk to Luke Sorensen with Security Home Mortgage in Orem UT. They do some portfolio loans. I hope that helps!

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2013 · 138 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Ballam I work for a portfolio lender. What questions do you have?

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Ty Burns I am trying to do some research on Portfolio lenders in Utah. Would you be able to help me out? 

    Is it possible to get a loan for an investment property with about 5% down?

  • Creative Director · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Jamie Owen

    @Ty Burns - It looks like you guys will be able to connect and help each other out.. I was able to finance my condo through goldenwest out of ogden... They were good to work with and we setup the condo on a 10 year commercial loan, which has worked well for us so far.. It did require the 25% down payment.. Quite a few lenders i work with will accept under 20% down payment but your rates are going to be a lot worse, so if you can I'd recommend paying the 25% down & if you have to finance the other 20% consider doing a HELOC on your primary residence or alternative option..

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2013 · 138 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    @Jamie Owen Check out Mountain America Credit Union. They have a 10% down for investment loans. Most other lenders will be the 25% down.

  • Rental Property Investor · Beaufort, SC · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Ballam is the commercial loan non-recourse?  Any pre-payment penalty?

    @Ty Burns same questions.  Are the MACU commercial loans on single family homes or condos non-recourse, and do they include prepayment penalties?

  • Creative Director · Issaquah, WA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Michael S. - No pre payment penalty.  Honestly, I wasn't sure what you meant by "non recourse" so I had to look that up...  I'm not sure whether or not the loan is "non recourse" and haven't ever evaluated or considered that while commercial loan shopping.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 159 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ty Burns:

    @Jamie Owen Check out Mountain America Credit Union. They have a 10% down for investment loans. Most other lenders will be the 25% down.

    Does anyone have a good contact for an LO in the MACU investment loan department?

  • Tyler BondPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Utah County · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Trent Stone I've worked with Brett Vellinga at Mountain America Credit Union and have been impressed so far

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Bond which branch is he at? Do you have a number? Thanks!!!

  • Tyler BondPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Utah County · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Trent Stone I'll send you a message with his info... It won't allow me to put contact information on this post

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.