How do I (re)negotiate prices with GC to exclude materials?

How do I (re)negotiate prices with GC to exclude materials?

Rockville, MD · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 13 votes

We're in the middle of our rehab project. The GC, who's doing some of the work with his crew and outsourcing the rest, gave us labor+material prices for individual parts of the project (roof, kitchen, baths, deck etc) but not the material costs separately. We're happy with what he's done so far and for the items he completed he didn't go over the numbers he'd given us.

Now I think I want to get some of the materials myself to reduce cost. For example, we just picked up a bunch of free tile a local shop threw away and it should be enough for the whole kitchen backsplash. However, when I asked him to provide me with material allowances for each item, he didn't and instead said that we're welcome to buy any materials we want but in this case he'll charge us $X per man per hour for labor. Since the goal is to reduce the cost, this response is not particularly helpful.

I realize that by giving us one dollar amount, he's trying to avoid asking us for more money for labor in case it takes him longer to complete something. So there's some padding there for him. Plus there is a project management fee there somewhere too, which is fine. So far, there were some delays in starting some of the work but once he started, he finished on schedule. Which is understandable since the fixed price forces him to work fast.

So how can I negotiate this with him? If he doesn't give me his material $s, I wont know if I am actually saving money when I am buying, let alone the potential runaway cost of labor if we pay him by the hour. This is a rehab with a relatively low profit margin so we're getting everything as basic as we can. Obviously free tile is as cheap as it can get but other stuff is easy to buy too expensive. So on option is to go back to the original arrangement on everything except for items for which I know I can get cheap materials (like the free tile). But then I still need to renegotiate the numbers on those with him. How should I do it? Thx

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Southfield Mi · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 171 votes
6y

As a rehab manager myself I will say that your contractor is smart, he is trying to gently assert that its "HIS" project once you signed the agreement.  Providing different material can be a hassle as someone mentioned also it may change some element of the finish that the contractor is not comfortable with. Guys like to feel good about how their projects turn out.  If you want to provide material that should be negotiated upfront.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Explain to him that you are trying to keep costs down which is why you bought the tile.  He's probably not understanding what you want.  Try asking him if you buy the tile, how much will that save you.

    For some materials, be careful as you may not end up saving money.  Contractors get a discount when they buy and material you buy may take longer to install.

  • Investor · White Haven PA · Member since 2014 · 362 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    The first question is do you have a contract with him? or Did he just give you price quotes?

    If you have a signed contract it's probably too late.  the time for negotiating is prior to signing a contract.   You also have to understand that changing the material also can change the time involved with installation..  So, you getting a different tile could add to the installation time.  

    If you are happy with the work he is doing and the initial prices he gave you don't rock the boat. Paying him and his crew by the hour is the quickest way to being upside down in project. Also, buying the cheapest fixtures and finishes is the quickest way to have your property sit on the market for long periods of time and not sell or get rented.

  • Property Manager · Southfield Mi · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 171 votes
    6y

    As a rehab manager myself I will say that your contractor is smart, he is trying to gently assert that its "HIS" project once you signed the agreement.  Providing different material can be a hassle as someone mentioned also it may change some element of the finish that the contractor is not comfortable with. Guys like to feel good about how their projects turn out.  If you want to provide material that should be negotiated upfront.  

  • Greenwood, DE · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    You told him you found some tile.... he doesnt know what it is, or how much of a pain in the *** it's going to be to install.... Hence the charge by the hour.       

    When he quoted the job.  the tile he quoted is a tile his guys are familiar with, that they have installed on previous jobs,  so he can confidently predict how much it will take.   If you bring in new tile,  there is no telling if it is going to be a pain to grout,   or the pattern  is a pain to install or all kinds of other variables.      (hence he will probably need to put his most valuable guy in that job to make sure it doesnt get screwed up)

    So dont throw him off track.  Keep the free tile, and use it on your next deal.

  • Rockville, MD · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Looks like there's some consensus in all the responses :-)

    So I am mostly rolling back my plan to what it was originally which was to get the kitchen appliances. Will still talk to him about the tile. It's not about the fact that it's free, my wife likes the style better than our GC's default option. So perhaps we can pay him the same but have our tile installed instead of his. Assuming it's the same amount of work, it looks to me like a win-win.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.