Things I've learned in 4 months of marketing (short-term rentals)

Things I've learned in 4 months of marketing (short-term rentals)

Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 12 votes

So I've been the marketing manager for a short-term rental management company for four months now. I can definitely say it has been fun and I have learned a lot. Here are some early thoughts coming from a marketing expert that had never worked in this field and as a property investor myself.

The first thing I realized is that it is a market ran by a few national companies. These companies manage a huge percentage of short-term rentals in South Texas and continue building by having a massive digital marketing budget. That is of course not a problem and more power to them. What concerns me there is that they charge a significant fee and are treating properties as numbers. This has created two common scenarios for me when I'm speaking to potential clients:

The first one is the upset customer. I'm encountering many property owners that have had horrible experiences with national companies leading them to never want a management company again. When I have asked why they no longer want a management company the most frequent answers have been "they were taking a high percentage but were never there for tenants leading to bad reviews" and "they found issues with the property but kept allowing tenants to book without fixing or telling the owner about the issues". You would be amazed at how many times I have heard the same things. In other words these companies just worried about booking booking booking and never having any concern for the property owner or reviews on the property.

The second is the unaware customer. This one I believe is the most common especially among the older (age) property owners and new inexperienced property investors. They get their property ready and start looking for a management company. They go to the first one they find online (biggest digital marketing budget) and somewhere in there they are convinced there is a reasonable reason why the fee is so high and go with it. A year goes by of mediocre customer service and high fees but they don't know any better. When I come in offering our fees and services they honestly believe it is too good to be true and I understand it. You've been told one thing for who knows how long but it of course becomes a new problem for us.

I have absolutely no issues with national management companies and I love the challenge to market smarter than them. It does sadden me that I have had to focus on trust building campaigns because of the damage they cause. I'm sure some are better than others.

In conclusion, stick to a local management company where you can personally speak to the owners. There are only so many ways a company can market your property so do not worry so much about property exposure and worry more about property protection and customer service. Also shop around for fees, it should never be 40%.

3Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

This is why the smaller investor can really do well. :D

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    This is why the smaller investor can really do well. :D

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Christian Jimenez, did you know that there is a short term rental segment of the forums? Your expertise would be welcome and more STR owners' eyes will see your posts.

  • Real Estate Agent · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 42 votes
    4y

    @Kerry Baird completely agree. This is where the mom and pops of the world have the edge by treating guests and customers like people!

    I'm not against property management at all. I've used several and had some good experiences. I just don't want to give away any margin, and I like the control that self-management affords. 

  • Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kerry Baird:

    @Christian Jimenez, did you know that there is a short term rental segment of the forums? Your expertise would be welcome and more STR owners' eyes will see your posts.


     I did not know. I usually just hang out in the San Antonio/Austin area. I'll check it out.

  • Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Corbin Loveless:

    @Kerry Baird completely agree. This is where the mom and pops of the world have the edge by treating guests and customers like people!

    I'm not against property management at all. I've used several and had some good experiences. I just don't want to give away any margin, and I like the control that self-management affords. 


    I agree and believe that is also our edge. We are very hands-on with our properties but most importantly we are there to give guests that mom and pops customer service when the owners are not able to do so themselves. Something the bigger companies can never do.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    @Christian Jimenez

    Customers usually get what they deserve.

    #1 problem is every customer wants everything cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. 

    The MAJORITY fail to understand, "you get what you pay for"!

    So, these large national brands are in a race to offer the best prices, which they do by hiring off-shore workers and cutting corners wherever they can, but still make a profit.

    Hopefully, you can carve out a niche for company with clients that appreciate service above price.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.