Rental Property Investor · Orland Park, IL · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 16 votes
How do you handle the tenant being responsible for Lawn care and snow removal?
What is the language in the lease or on an addendum?
How do you make sure tenants are keeping up with it?
How do you enforce it?
How do you sell the idea to a potential tenant?
Sorry for all the questions. I currently manage a couple of multi-units for my family and we have a service and I'm looking to buy a single-family for myself and these questions have been on my mind.
Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
It is built into the lease that they are responsible. the language doesn't have to be complicated. I might say, "tenant is responsible for lawn care and snow removal." If I get a notice from the cities code enforcement department then they have not kept up with the lease agreement. We have a fairly aggressive code department. They do a good job of monitoring my properties for me.
No selling needed, in the same way that you don't have to sell the idea they have to pay rent or they can't do drugs. That is the requirement to live in the property.
Additionally, you should contact a local landlord/tenant attorney. They will be able to tell you what the process is for providing notice for lease violations and also how to evict based on those lease violations. No need to reinvent the wheel, your city has a standard process you just need to be aware and follow it.
Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
It is built into the lease that they are responsible. the language doesn't have to be complicated. I might say, "tenant is responsible for lawn care and snow removal." If I get a notice from the cities code enforcement department then they have not kept up with the lease agreement. We have a fairly aggressive code department. They do a good job of monitoring my properties for me.
No selling needed, in the same way that you don't have to sell the idea they have to pay rent or they can't do drugs. That is the requirement to live in the property.
Additionally, you should contact a local landlord/tenant attorney. They will be able to tell you what the process is for providing notice for lease violations and also how to evict based on those lease violations. No need to reinvent the wheel, your city has a standard process you just need to be aware and follow it.
Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2015 · 146 posts · 80 votes
6y
I agree about contacting a local attorney. I use this language in my maintenance section:
"Tenant shall:
Remove snow from public walkways per City, County and State of Illinois codes and rules. Any and all liability resulting from removing snow, or failure to remove same, resides with tenant.
Maintain the yard in grounds subject to all City, County, and State of Illinois codes and rules. Any fines charged resulting from maintaining the grounds, or failure to do so, resides with tenant. On notice from City, County, or the State of Illinois, Landlord may, at their sole discretion, maintain yard at the rate listed in Appendix A."
Appendix A is a statement of common charges (wall repair, damaged blinds, garbage removal, etc) that the tenant gets with the lease. That way if I get the notice from the city I can do the work and charge back the tenant before the city does it and charges me a few hundred bucks.
Real Estate Agent · Geneva, IL · Member since 2015 · 403 posts · 172 votes
6y
@Ahmer Zaidi we have it in our lease document and we have language about if we get fined from the City, the fine will be passed on to tenants. If you know an attorney, you can ask them to draw something up for you or maybe they have a sample.
Real Estate Agent · Geneva, IL · Member since 2015 · 403 posts · 172 votes
6y
@Ahmer Zaidi I checked with Frank Boenzi and he said the lease we use is Michigan specific so it may not help you. If you need a good attorney I can recommend one; maybe she can help!
Attorney · Skokie, IL · Member since 2016 · 270 posts · 109 votes
6y
I agree with the comments stated above --- it is fine to have the tenant be responsible for the lawn care and snow removal. But it is important that you communicate it well and have it written into the lease/rental agreement. Happy to answer more questions.