New Investor in The Woodlands, TX

New Investor in The Woodlands, TX

Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 5 votes

Hello BiggerPockets!

I am new to real estate investing and live in The Woodlands, North of Houston.

I have had an interest in investing in real estate since I was in college, but never seemed to be able to take that first step. Now, after spending 12 years working a W-2 job, I have gathered my courage and I am finally ready make a change and start working toward financial independence.

A few months ago, my family and I decided to give real estate investing a chance. We are getting our ducks in a row to start our first fix & flip project. We are actively building our team for projects around North Houston and surround areas.

This is so exciting for my wife Elyse and I. We are looking forward to the new adventure and can’t wait to get started. We hope to find like-minded people to network with here at BiggerPockets!

All the best,

Ryan Starr

3Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
5y

@Norb Schneider I would guess the main reason is timing of posting the rental.  3/2 rentals in The Woodlands, Cypress, Katy, Sugarland etc are dominated by families looking for areas with good schools.   Typically, you get more for rent and rent out your home quickest if you post May/June/July/August.  Making sure the lease ends in the Summer is the smartest option for landlords.

How do those specific homes show in pictures?  Even though The Woodlands is now as being a very high end suburb, they have several pockets of rental dominated neighborhoods (older homes, sqft 1300-1600, rents around 1500).

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    5y

    Congrats Ryan!  I am excited to follow your journey!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Rolf Hi Matthew, I've been looking at zillow for SFH for sale and rent in the Woodlands and surrounding areas. I noticed there are a number of SFH 3/2 1400sq, under $1500 for rent. The rentals are sitting for over 30 days, any insight into this?

    Thanks,

    NS

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Welcome Ryan. We have a few Buy-and-Hold rentals in The Woodlands as we lived there for a few years. Good luck with your journey. If you need any recommendations for a realtor or property manager in the area feel free to reach out to me.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Rolf Thanks Matthew!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Mark Wasko Thank you Mark! Hope to chat sometime.

  • Insurance Agent · TX · Member since 2018 · 362 posts · 175 votes
    5y

    @Norb Schneider I would guess the main reason is timing of posting the rental.  3/2 rentals in The Woodlands, Cypress, Katy, Sugarland etc are dominated by families looking for areas with good schools.   Typically, you get more for rent and rent out your home quickest if you post May/June/July/August.  Making sure the lease ends in the Summer is the smartest option for landlords.

    How do those specific homes show in pictures?  Even though The Woodlands is now as being a very high end suburb, they have several pockets of rental dominated neighborhoods (older homes, sqft 1300-1600, rents around 1500).

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    5y

    Hello @Ryan Starr. Welcome to BiggerPockets. Best of luck to you and your wife on your real estate investing journey. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Ryan!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Marlen Weber thank you for the well wishes Marlen!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Syrios Thanks Andrew! Happy to be a part of BiggerPockets!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Wale Lawal, great to hear from someone local! I am buttoning up funding and then will be ready to go! I look forward to getting together soon.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
    5y

    Pleasure to meet you @Ryan Starr!  I think it's great that you and your family are starting this journey in RE! I wish you and your wife Elyse all the best, and I can't wait to hear about how successful that fix and flip turns out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.