First-time Buyer w/ Goldilocks Complex Seeks RealEstate Therapist

First-time Buyer w/ Goldilocks Complex Seeks RealEstate Therapist

Homeowner · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Hello there! 

I finally decided to take the plunge and make an account here on Bigger Pockets after hearing many wonderful things about the community and, of course, learning about the forms after reading my first BP book on rental property investing. I'm hoping to meet experienced and open-minded members of the community to bounce ideas with, learn more about real estate investing and for encouragement to start making moves with my hard-earned money. 

I am not sure how common or uncommon my life situation is, so if the title didn't scare you...please keep reading on...

A little about me: 

I'm a 26-year-old young professional with a well-paying job at a tech company In Manhattan. I live in Northern NJ and was commuting to NYC, but now since COVID I work permanently from home and take advantage of the location independence by going on extended trips abroad. (I'm a BIG remote work advocate, so if this is something you're interested in, please reach out!) I want to maintain this lifestyle and ability to travel, as I did in my last position before my current one. I have a decent chunk of money in savings (apart from an $8k emergency fund), no debt, no pets, no kids, no significant other, own my car and have very low living costs for my area (under $1k/mo for a room in a shared house, all included, off-street parking, have been here for 4 years). Happy to share more details and numbers privately!

Why real-estate:

Like Robert Kiyosaki says in Rich Dad, Poor Dad, owning a house is a sentimental choice for many, while real estate investors stress the importance of securing assets, not liabilities. I see myself in the middle and can say that I'd probably be happy with my first purchase being either a house-hacking situation that I would live in and rent other parts of the dwelling out, OR purchasing something in an area I'd eventually relocate to with a tenant already in place, paying the mortgage until they move out and I move in. I'm flexible and open to hearing suggestions. At the end of the day, I see my first investment being a place I'd be comfortable calling home in some respect as well as a "good move". I am getting more anxious with saved money that is not doing anything for me and real estate has always called my attention. I am not looking for a quick buy and sell type property either--I'm keen on holding onto properties over the years and renting them out either short-term/vacation or long-term. I always told myself it was a goal to buy property before 30, but that doesn't mean I have to.

My ideal situation:

I'd love to make a purchase of a condo/townhouse or LOW-maintenance SFR with the intention of using it as a "home-base," renting out rooms either long-term leases or short-term/vacation rentals (even my own room while I'm traveling for 3 weeks - 3 mo at a time). Breaking even or paying less than I do now for rent as a mortgage payment would be great. Making a profit would be even better. My expectations are not to be rich off this first investment but rather not to feel regret, like I made the wrong choice. Long term, I'd love to have a decent portfolio of SFR in interesting locations. My dream is having foreign investments in Spain/Mediterranean, South America, Mexico etc but don't know how feasible or realistic that is. Wouldn't it be nice to have properties to visit around the world and rent out when you're not there?

I'm looking for a domestic home-base in a low to medium-cost area. I'd like to live within 30-mins driving or Uber to a major hub airport with affordable, direct international flights (EWR, JFK, MIA, FLL, ORD etc. are examples). Public transit is a great plus. I've lived in Northeast climates most of my life, and can tolerate and sometimes prefer Southeast or climates that are more hot than they are cold. I need amenities nearby, but nothing crazy like a major city. Small/medium towns and cities are fine. Wholefoods and chain gym? Great! 

Reality/My dilemma:

Enter Goldilocks Complex. I want the "right" investment in the "right" market and the "right" location for me. Like I described above, I live a single and low-cost life currently and have been for the last 4 years. I like to travel a lot and while my current situation supports my nomadic (but with a permanent address) lifestyle, I'm getting older and the shared house situation is beginning to ware on my nerves at times. I'd like the additional flexibility of ownership (modification, a place to make home, renting it out etc) as well as the potential for investment income in the long term. Do I go for a 1BR? Is that a bad investment? Should I cross out SFR homes completely because of the maintenance required? Should I listen to my parents and find a place in a good school district for resale value? Does that even matter if I'm looking to buy and hold? Should I even buy in the first place if renting is giving me so much flexibility now?

Location-wise, I have traveled nearly everywhere in the US that piqued my interest as a potential place to live. Chicago had attractive real-estate prices, but I hated the cold and Mid West. I love California and the West Coast, but it's too far for traveling from and too expensive. Texas is too conservative and boring. I like the diversity and travel connectedness of New Jersey/NYC, but again, extremely expensive. I need to reframe that not every place will be perfect, but I'd like to hear some first-hand experience of people who maybe have been in this situation. 

Markets I'm considering are Wilmington, NC (where my parents live, but lacking major airport connectivity); Miami, FL (perfect global location, but not sure about long term stability); Philadelphia, PA (alternative NE city, well-connected, but too similar to NJ); or Northern NJ (not really a top choice, but if it makes sense...it makes sense)

I'm thinking a 2BR, 1-2BA condo/townhouse under $300k is feasible in some of the locations I mentioned. Think otherwise or want to reframe my expectations? Please let me know!

I'm looking for some two-way dialogue and unique perspectives to supplement the reading and research I do on my own. I need real-world advice and experience from people who are in/have been in similar situations. 

Also, if you've made it this far I sincerely appreciate it. Writing all that was cathartic. I'm not sure if this is the best thread to let it all out, but hey--why not!!

Please feel free to comment below or message me privately! I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice. 

Many thanks.

4Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

I am also interested in owning foreign assets, especially in South America. @Mike Lambert has been able to answer all of my questions thoroughly and he is right that those goals are much more feasible and realalistic than the average person might think. For my situation those goals are a lot closer then I would have originally thought. Good Luck! @Daniel Dawson

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Well, just start with the airports in the general areas you have interest in.  If I were you I'd look around Atlanta, huge international airport, then Nashville.  Not as big, but really nice.

  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hmmmmmm. You seem all over the place! Short term rental, rent by the room, 1 bedroom, SFH . You don't address who is going to manage the property if you are traveling, etc.

    Lots of thoughts for you...  first, if using property management, it will eat up a lot of your profit.  Second... it's been my experience that your profit from a $200,000 - $300,000 rental can be surprisingly close to the profit of a cheap rental.  You should run so pro forma numbers factoring in the differences between the higher taxes, insurance, principle and interest and see if your money would be better spent buying 2-3 cheaper $100,000 rentals versus one $300,000 unit.  Yes, there will be a category difference between properties there... the $100,000 properties being closer to C class properties, but I predict you will find that you will make twice the money going with the cheaper properties, if not more. 

    My suggestion is that 2-3 bedrooms gives you a lot more options.  We have 40+ units that we paid on average $75,000 per door and rent for about $1,000 a month.  We are more like an hour from major metro areas (Orlando, Tampa), and we aren't really scared of scarier neighborhoods... being more driven by the margin numbers.  We self-manage all our units.

    One other thought.... condos and town homes pretty much imply HOA fees... those can really cut into your profits relative to a similar sized property that is not under an HOA. Sure, you can pass the cost along, but my non-HOA property will profit more - all things being equaL

    All these nickel and dimes add up .... PM, HOAs, higher costs of more expensive properties, etc.  Optimizing at each point you can is a secret to maximize your profits. 

    Randy

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Dawson One property will not make you rich, so don't overthink it and get started. Pick a market you would be willing to own 2-4 properties in with the goal of having them professionally managed. 

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Homeowner · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for the replies!

    @Lynnette E. - I totally hear you here. I think you're right because the proximity to a major airport is a must-have for my lifestyle. I've been to ATL for business a couple of times and didn't love it, but you're not wrong because it "makes sense" on paper. 

    @Randall Alan - "all over the place" definitely isn't wrong :) I think I am open to many different possibilities and willing to make the right arrangement for a property I like. I'd also like to hear perspectives from people who may have tried different rental options for different property types. 

    I don't think I'd be looking into C Class areas and properties since I'd plan on living in my first property at least 50% of the year. In that situation, I'd self-manage it. If I were to BnB out my room or any spare areas while I'm gone I could (hopefully) trust/pay my roomate/tenant to help or hire an independent cleaning service. 

    @Ryan Kelly - Yes! That's a good point and I agree. I am not looking to "get rich" off my first property. Sometimes it's difficult to think logically about my first purchase vs. longer term (2-3 properties) because of the emotion/sentiment of also wanting to call my first property home part of the time. 

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Dawson

    Investing in places Spain/Mediterranean, South America or Mexico is my main real estate activity and is way more realistic and feasible than most people think. Moreover, it's getting more and more mainstream with the ineluctable rise of the digital nomads.

    If you go to my profile, you can find and read the many posts I wrote about international real estate investing, especially in these areas. Also, feel free to send me a private message if I can help you further.

    Finally, never give up on your dreams!

  • Homeowner · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hey @Mike Lambert! Thanks for the encouraging response. I actually am a big fan of your hometown, Montreal, as well--I would go every summer pre-COVID :) A pied-a-terre in the plateau doesn't sound so bad either! 

    I will definitely connect with you and peruse your post activity. 

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I am also interested in owning foreign assets, especially in South America. @Mike Lambert has been able to answer all of my questions thoroughly and he is right that those goals are much more feasible and realalistic than the average person might think. For my situation those goals are a lot closer then I would have originally thought. Good Luck! @Daniel Dawson

  • Homeowner · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Brandon Goldsmith, that's definitely encouraging to hear!

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Dawson

    You're welcome. And yes Montreal is awesome, especially during summer and your strong dollar can go a long way! Hit me up for coffee next time you're in town! :-)

  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Dawson:

    Thanks @Brandon Goldsmith, that's definitely encouraging to hear!

    Brandon, you got this!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.