Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Member Introductions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Derek DeVerna
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Podcasts Guests Not Always Who They Claim To Be?

Derek DeVerna
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Jan 4 2020, 05:52

I have been an avid fan/listener of the BP podcast ever since I decided to jump into real estate directly out of college nearly five years ago. I look forward to podcast releases on Thursdays and have listened to most episodes multiple times. For this reason, I was extremely excited to take a job opportunity presented to me by Sharad Mehta, guest on the Bigger Pockets Podcast Episode #155. I had listened to this episode before and it sounded like he had an awesome business that any real estate investor could learn lessons from.  

I excitingly accepted this job opportunity in late 2018 and relocated to Northwest Indiana from Cincinnati, Ohio on January 1st, 2019. It is important to note that this was an all commission opportunity and I did not know a single person, much less the market in NW Indiana. 

I quickly noticed that the opportunity that I was presented during my job interview was not consistent with what the actual work entailed. Nonetheless, my prior wholesaling experience allowed me to land a $36,000 profit deal for the company within my first month of employment. The commission associated with this deal took Sharad Mehta three full weeks to pay out after the property closed. This was obviously unacceptable, as I had relocated my entire life and was hustling every day to find deals for this company. 

Despite this major read flag, I pushed on and was able to aid the company in acquiring a few more investment deals. Eventually I felt as though my time was better serviced working on my own business and decided to part ways with the company. This was a mutual decision made between Sharad and myself in the beginning of March 2019. We agreed that it was fair for me to be paid on any property that I helped the firm acquire when they resold the asset. This was also the commission opportunity from the start - Paid X% profit once any property I acquired was sold.

To this day, the only full commission that I have received was from the first wholesale deal. This is despite an agreement and multiple attempted calls, voicemails, texts, and emails. I also learned that Sharad's right hand women, whom was the most crucial person in his business (Sharad does not live in NW Indiana) left around the same time that I did and for very similar reasons. 

This entire experience has left me wondering how many other people were taken advantage of by Sharad Mehta throughout his entire story, as presented on the BP Podcast. I was once inspired by his incredible/underdog story. Now I am disgusted in knowing that there were many good folks ripped off in its formation. 

Loading replies...