New Member with Commercial Banking background in Johnstown, PA

New Member with Commercial Banking background in Johnstown, PA

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 8 votes

Hello everyone!

I'm joining Bigger Pockets today after a year of listening to the podcast on my hour commute. 

I have 2 years of experience in commercial banking as a Credit Analyst at regional banks in Indiana, PA and Johnstown, PA. I've been interested in building a business for passive income since graduating from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with my B. S. in Finance in 2013. 

After checking out many business models/industries, I've decided real estate is the best way for me to build personal wealth with lower risk. The reasons real estate attracts me personally over other small businesses are too many to list, but I'll write some big ones below: 

- As a father of two only two years removed from college, I support my family, but don't have any savings built up yet. Student loans are just the best... In real estate, I can use OPM (other people's money) to fund most of my "startup" costs. 

- Other businesses are subject to outsized risk of factors outside my control. Real estate allows me to mitigate almost all my risks through diligent underwriting, tenant screening, self education and common sense! 

- I've seen firsthand the power real estate has to build wealth. I've analyzed C&I (commercial & industrial) and CRE (commercial real estate) loans from $500k-$5 million for the past two years from a bank's perspective and I've of typed in so many zeros on RE investors' personal balance sheets that it's just a no brainier at this point.

I'm interested in getting started in small multi-family buy-and-hold rentals in the next two years after moving to a warmer climate at some point in 2016. (I'm going to be sending out resumes in Colorado, North Carolina and South Carolina in the near future.)

After I post this, I'm going to buy The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, The Book on Rental Property Investing and The Book on Property Management to immerse myself in the subject before asking for OPM and settling down in a long term location. 

In the meantime, if you're in the Johnstown/Indiana/Altoona/Pittsburgharea say hello! 

4Reply
31 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome aboard @Isaac Yung

    Getting started early and with a solid plan.....I like it.

    Good luck to you & I'll see you around the forums.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Isaac Yung

    Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community. It is a great place to learn about real estate.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Thanks James and Mark! I'm pumped to be here officially!

  • Irwin, PA · Member since 2015 · 152 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I'll be needing a commercial loan for my first deal very soon, so I'll be in contact with you!

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Thanks Dom, 

    Let me know. I'll help as best I can. Good luck!

  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    10y

    @Isaac Yung The podcast here on BP is a one of a kind which will get anyone excited. I'm happy to see you joined bro, and wish you the best. I'm here is you need any advice on all things.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP.  Be sure to check out the podcasts

  • Flipper · Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP, Isaac Yung. All too often, people have the passion for real estate investing but lack any sort of business plan. It sounds like you're off to a great start. Wish you all the best.

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! Don't be shy to reach out and make connections.

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    10y

    Welcome to real estate investing.  Sounds like your foundation of knowledge starting out is better than most.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    Welcome! And best of luck with your plans! I grew up just up the road from you in Ebensburg, PA. I now live in Virginia and enjoy the weather much more!

  • Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 256 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Isaac Yung... wishing you much success!

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone!  I found out that the free iPhone app Foxit Pdf provides text to speech for PDFs which is perfect for The Book on Flipping Houses and Estimating Rehab Costs I picked up yesterday.

    That'll keep me busy for a while. I'll look out for you all on the forums after I get further into the books. Happy New Years,

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    Welcome to Bp @Isaac Yung

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Isaac Yung, keep learning and asking questions, hitting the books is a must.  I always recommend "What every real estate investor needs to know about cash flow...." by Frank Gallinelli 

    Happy New Year!

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Matt McCourry  I'll look that book up on Amazon. 

  • Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Welcome! I am also an IUP grad, although quite a few years prior to you. Always glad to see budding investors in the area.
  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Brian Camp  I just checked this post again today. Thanks for the welcome! Did you major in Finance (like me) per chance?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.