New to Real Estate - Central Coast of CA

New to Real Estate - Central Coast of CA

OR · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets!

I was turned on to the podcast and am hooked. I have listened to about 12-14 shows in the past two weeks starting at show 1 and working my way in. I just purchased my first 2 bedroom condo in Oceano (one of the cheaper areas around San Luis Obispo, and right near Pismo Beach) (before getting into bigger pockets) and while a great place to live, not a great short term investment. But its a place I can call my own.  I have a degree in business and currently work in online advertising.

I figure this would be a good place to take a crack at sharing my rei plan. This is my first stab at writing it on 'paper' and I'd love to hear some feedback.  Ideally I'd like to dive in by flipping to get a better sense of renovating property and understanding what I can do to add value and what renovations get the most bang for the buck.  A couple issues with this are that I am likely priced out of my immediate area with SFHs in the 300-700 range.  Im pretty sure with my current mortgage my likelyhood of securing another conventional loan is going to be pretty hard to do.  I might be able to secure some private money but again it will be difficult with no track record. 

Eventually id like to get into multi family properties that cashflow.  I listened to the webinar about how to figure how many rental properties I would need to generate enough cash flow to replace my income.  That is a lot of properties but with some creative financing and a few years hopefully I'll be able to get there.  This would be a buy and hold strategy. Perhaps I should find a few people to partner with to get some property and experience under my belt. 

Any tips or direction on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to getting involved in the community!

Keywords alerts for Central Coast Locals to chime in :) SLO, Central Coast, Paso Robles, Bakersfield, Santa Maria, Pismo.

2Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Tom Squirewelcome to BP. And the keywords at the bottom of your post made me smile after reading your full-time job is in online advertising. What a pro. :) 

Your approach of fixing and flipping then taking a portion of the proceeds to buy cash flowing properties makes sense. It's also been done before so that's a good thing for you. Sounds like it's just ironing out some of the challenges you mentioned above. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Tom Squirewelcome to BP. And the keywords at the bottom of your post made me smile after reading your full-time job is in online advertising. What a pro. :) 

    Your approach of fixing and flipping then taking a portion of the proceeds to buy cash flowing properties makes sense. It's also been done before so that's a good thing for you. Sounds like it's just ironing out some of the challenges you mentioned above. 

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Fairless:

    @Tom Squirewelcome to BP. And the keywords at the bottom of your post made me smile after reading your full-time job is in online advertising. What a pro. :) 

    Your approach of fixing and flipping then taking a portion of the proceeds to buy cash flowing properties makes sense. It's also been done before so that's a good thing for you. Sounds like it's just ironing out some of the challenges you mentioned above. 

     And to echo joe, who I have come to learn is a fellow long lost west Texas cousin, check out books that merge the strategies of fix and rent, like jay p decima's classic book, investing in fixer uppers, one I mention on a top 100 podcast, by joe! Tomorrow? (No real relation but a kindred spirit who I hope will talk deep,landlording with me again in 2016). 

    Really, the two need not be so distinct and decima fixes property then will rent them, sell them, or even owner finance... And more.. Best of luck.

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Good luck with your objectives. Control and Roll is a great way to flip properties honestly and ethically while looking for those keepers for your cash flow portfolio.

    I'd like to know more about your on-line advertising. Call or send me a note, I have some interesting products I'd like to expose to the world.

    Charles

  • Atascadero, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Welcome Tom! Your keywords worked and got me here :)

    I'm from Atascadero and haven't been able to get into the market around here, I'm considering doing some investing out of state myself due to the price of property out here. Really interested in seeing what you're able to do! Best of luck.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    @Tom Squire

    Welcome to the site.

    Good luck to you & I'll see you around the forums.

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Tom Squire Welcome to BP! I've listened to almost every podcast, too. I am up to 145 I think. I live in AG and like @Matthew Pauls am out of my price range here for buy & hold so am considering out of state. Have met quite a few people who are doing buy & hold or lease options in Lompoc and Bakerfield areas. One person I met at the last REIA meeting was in the process of closing her first fix & flip in Morro Bay. I think she was going to make about $60k so it is possible. Just keep learning & taking action & you will get there!!!

    If you are interested, the next central coast REIA meeting is scheduled for 12/3 @ Spyglass Inn, Pismo Beach at 6:30pm. It does cost $20 to go though. You can get more info on the meetup.com website. We're discussing 2016 goals as our agenda I believe. There is another group that meets in Santa Maria & is also on Meetup. I haven't been to their meetings but have heard it's okay, too. I think it might be free to attend. Not sure when they meet next.

    Anyway, good luck & good job with adding those key words!

    Jeanie

  • Allen MarisPro Member
    Investor · Santa Ynez, CA · Member since 2008 · 375 posts · 175 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeanie H.:

    @Tom Squire Welcome to BP! I've listened to almost every podcast, too. I am up to 145  There is another group that meets in Santa Maria & is also on Meetup. I haven't been to their meetings but have heard it's okay, too. I think it might be free to attend. Not sure when they meet next.

    Hi Tom, welcome. Your Lompoc keyword got me here. And you've got it, cost to entry in the central coast is pretty steep. Who wouldn't want to live here!?

    I've been to the SMREIA. I believe it's either $10 or $20 to attend, which helps them cover the cost of the room rental and paperwork they distribute.

    Good luck to you.

    Allen

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Tom Squire

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.