New Member - Rochester, NY, What would you do with $10,000?

New Member - Rochester, NY, What would you do with $10,000?

Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 19 votes

Hello everyone!  Recently, I stumbled across BP while googling "save cash for future down payment or pay down current mortgage?"  While searching for an answer to my conundrum above, I started to learn simple vocabulary like depreciation, inflation, amortization, etc.  As I continued to read and learn, I was disgusted at the realization that simply keeping money in a savings account does little more than lose you money over time due to the non-existent interest rate v. inflation.  Once I came to that full realization I was determined to find a way to make my money work for me.

To give a bit of a background, I'm a 32 year old school administrator, my wife is a couple years younger and a teacher, and we have a 1.5 year old son.  We live in Rochester, NY and are lucky at this point to be cash flow positive when considering our simple income v. expenses on a monthly basis.  This did not come easily, we run a very tight budget which my wife hates!  Regardless, we have paid off all CC debt, we just paid off my car, and next, I was eying two student loans, each approximately $5,000 at 3.62% interest.  This is where my confusion and uncertainty lies...

Since discovering BP a few weeks ago, I've listened to 23 podcasts (quickkkk tipppppp), read the UBG, and searched a bit on the forums.  Given the fact that I have a full time job, expect to be a Superintendent in 3-5 years, buy and hold is the primary RE investment that piques my interest.  I love the idea of building equity by having others pay down mortgages, and hey, additional cash flow per door along with any appreciation is icing on the cake.  We actually live in a house that used to be a two family and plan to move in a year or two.  After running the numbers, meeting with our real estate agent, who is also a landlord, I've talked my wife into turning this back into a duplex and renting rather than selling when we move.  All this being said, back to my uncertainty above...

Anticipating a contract settlement with retro pay, tax return, annual vacation buy back, and standard income, I was planning to pay these two student loans totaling $10,000 off by next June.  In reality, the interest rate is only 3.62% and the payments are only $73 and $37 per month respectively.  For fun, I calculated the amount of interest accrued/time if I literally just paid the minimum and it came to 14.7 years with $1,436 in interest, and 6.3 years with $580 interest on the second.  I obviously will not take 14 years to pay off a $5,000 student loan, but regardless, it helped me realize I'm not really saving much by paying these both off in 6 months v. maybe 2 years and the $110 combination per month is not adding a significant amount to my monthly cash flow.  

So, if you were in my position where I want to begin buy/hold and had $10,000 to invest in 6 months would you literally just take that and try to find a single family unit or duplex to purchase?  Or should I literally just continue decimating our debt?  I really like the idea of duplex/triplex v. single family units.  Housing in my middle class area is reasonable, our current home cost around $90,000.  If it matters, I am also planning for retirement through the teacher's retirement system (62.5% of my final average salary), as well as a 401K.  I also dislike stock investments since it feels too out of my control.    

Thanks BP for the great (free) information and sorry for such a long first post!

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Rochestser, NY · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 13 votes
11y

I'd buy a relatively turnkey $60-70k 3/2 single family in the 19th ward, use the 10k as down payment, and mortgage the remaining balance.   Rents in that area can drive between 900-1200 in monthly income, to the point where the cash flow will pay your mortgage, student loans, with some left over . . .

For example:  http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/54-Margaret-St_Rochester_NY_14619_M36417-07185?row=1

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Abington, MA · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    What is it going to cost to turn your home into a duplex?  A different strategy maybe to sell the home you live in and buy a 2-4 unit and live in one of the units and rent out the others.  

    If homes cost around 90k then you will most likely need to put 20% down and need more than 10k.  

    You are on the right path and hope I have helped you to think of a few  more ways to accomplish your goals.  

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Paul Sorgi

    Thanks for the reply.  The cost to turn it back into a duplex *should* be minimal.  There are already two full kitchens, two full baths, two bedrooms, and a living room type area on each floor with a shared basement and a side entrance that leads to both entrances.  The only mandatory work is to add a door back to the top of the stairs which I removed when we used the house as a single unit rather than separate apartments and I was frustrated trying to get furniture up the stairs.  

    I put an astericks on *should* because although it was previously rented as a duplex it was never done so legally.  I want to be sure if I'm renting I'm doing it with the utmost integrity and doing it right, so I do not know yet what permits/hoops are required through the city.  I do plan to update the bathrooms with some simple things like a new vanity, but I'll be doing the work, so it's just materials cost.

    As much as I'd be up for the idea of buying a multi unit and living in it, there's no way the Mrs. would be up for that lol.  

  • Investor · Rochestser, NY · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    I'd buy a relatively turnkey $60-70k 3/2 single family in the 19th ward, use the 10k as down payment, and mortgage the remaining balance.   Rents in that area can drive between 900-1200 in monthly income, to the point where the cash flow will pay your mortgage, student loans, with some left over . . .

    For example:  http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/54-Margaret-St_Rochester_NY_14619_M36417-07185?row=1

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 85 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Hello Greg! Thanks for the insight on duplex transformations.

    Feel free to connect with me. We also do rehabs in Rochester.

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 19 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David Stott:

    I'd buy a relatively turnkey $60-70k 3/2 single family in the 19th ward, use the 10k as down payment, and mortgage the remaining balance.   Rents in that area can drive between 900-1200 in monthly income, to the point where the cash flow will pay your mortgage, student loans, with some left over . . .

    For example:  http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5...

    David - thanks for the idea, I especially appreciate the specific house as a reference.  This makes me realize that while I've lived in the Rochester area (Spencerport & Gates) my whole life, I'm not familiar with the city as a whole.  I'll have to do some searching and researching on the various markets within the city.  I also think I'll hop in the car tomorrow and drive through the 19th ward!  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Greg Baker Congrats on getting out of CC debt!  You are already ahead of many.

    There are lots of things to consider.  You should have a rainy day fund.  Financial advisors recommend six months of ordinary expenses.  You don't mention anything about separate utilities and that would be an expensive issue.  You don't say how much equity you have but say your house is worth about $90K.  You could likely sell and get a duplex at a better price point that will cash flow better as @David Stott insinuated.

    Also, it is important as a buy-and-hold investor to have reserves.  In addition to your rainy day fund, you need to be able to carry a property for 6 months of vacancy.  Banks require this if you are buying.  And while a vacancy this long is unlikely, the reserve is also important to have for emergency repairs.

    With incomplete information, I would say build up your rainy day fund first.  If you have access to funds somewhere (like credit cards or home equity line of credit) this becomes less important to have in cash.  There is also a huge psychological benefit to being debt free.  Yes, investors are in debt, but that is debt that is earning them money.  That is different than getting out of debt that is costing you money.  That is worth at least some consideration even if it isn't the best financial move.

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 19 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Larry Turowski:

    @Greg Baker Congrats on getting out of CC debt!  You are already ahead of many.

    There are lots of things to consider.  You should have a rainy day fund.  Financial advisors recommend six months of ordinary expenses.  You don't mention anything about separate utilities and that would be an expensive issue.  You don't say how much equity you have but say your house is worth about $90K.  You could likely sell and get a duplex at a better price point that will cash flow better as @David Stott insinuated.

    Also, it is important as a buy-and-hold investor to have reserves.  In addition to your rainy day fund, you need to be able to carry a property for 6 months of vacancy.  Banks require this if you are buying.  And while a vacancy this long is unlikely, the reserve is also important to have for emergency repairs.

    With incomplete information, I would say build up your rainy day fund first.  If you have access to funds somewhere (like credit cards or home equity line of credit) this becomes less important to have in cash.  There is also a huge psychological benefit to being debt free.  Yes, investors are in debt, but that is debt that is earning them money.  That is different than getting out of debt that is costing you money.  That is worth at least some consideration even if it isn't the best financial move.

    Larry,

    Thank you very much for the feedback. I should have included the information you reference, I was afraid the post was getting too long!  Your section regarding the equity is definitely one where I cannot get a firm grasp on the best course of action given the circumstances.  Here is the additional information:

    I would say we can sell the home for $90,000 after expected seller concessions, but before the 6% realtor fee.We currently owe $85,000 on the home.Therefore, if my math is correct, we would be a couple thousand negative selling the home after considering other sale expenses. Our RGE gas/electric is $209 a month, water/refuse is about $60 a month and our mortgage/escrow with insurance and taxes is $870 a month.If I've understood some of the rental formulas correctly I should be looking at mortgage/escrow x2 = total monthly rent if utilities are paid by the tenants? Therefore, 50% of total rent goes towards mortgage/escrow and 50% goes into rainy day for capital expenses and lack of tenant time.I believe we can rent the downstairs unit for $850 + utilities and the upstairs for $750+ utilities.So I'm about $140 per month off from doubling the $870 mortgage/escrow if I am calculating that formula correctly.

    In terms of rainy day/reserves, thank you for pointing that out.  We have this for our family, but I did not think about starting the rental process having that already established.  I could take the anticipated $10,000 and put that towards a rainy day fund for potentially renting this property rather than looking for another property.

    Here's where I'm foggy, if anticipating a $2,000 loss on the sale of the home, but on the pro side having an intimate knowledge of the pros/cons of the home since we've been living here for 3 years, and also not needing 20% down + closing costs on a potential new rental purchase, does that flex the above formula at all?  Or is it better to eat that $2,000 loss, save more, buy something that will be more cash flow positive, and eat the costs incurred when purchasing a new property?

    Thanks again for your time and expertise, it's greatly appreciated.

  • Real Estate Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2011 · 422 posts · 149 votes
    11y

    Since it sounds like you are happy with your job I would convert your current home back to a duplex. Rent it out. Buy another house, duplex, triplex or 4-plex on a owner occupied loan. Which will get you the best down payment & interest rate. Rinse and repeat until you max out the 10 conventional loan limit. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.