Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Moules
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Turlock, CA
Votes |
Where in CA are you investing for CF , or are you?

Kevin Moules
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Turlock, CA
Posted

Hello BP members!

I am new to REI and joined BP several months ago. We live inTurlock, CA and are looking for buy and hold multi family opportunities for cash flow. Although not opposed to SFH (just want to scale faster than 1 house at a time) Unfortunately our area will not support cash flowing properties (at least ones listed on the MLS). I have looked at other cities up to 2 hours away and it looks like the same story to me. Hard to cash flow even with 25% down.I read Brandon Turner's book on rental property investing and am excited to get into this journey/adventure.

I am also thinking of doing OOS since CF deals seem to be hard to come by. If your interested in OH check out this thread I started here. Where in OH are you investing and Why?

I wanted to see where you folks are investing in CA for cash flowing properties. Maybe this thread will have an early death since to find cash flowing properties in CA is like a unicorn and folks will want to keep their investing areas secret. Not a problem I totally get it!! I have looked in Tulare County and Bakersfield here in the valley as the only two places that might have potential. I have not looked very much in northern CA past Sac since those will be much smaller markets but I am not opposed to it if the numbers work. 

Since these places will not be in my back yard I will have to account for a PM and of course economies of scale play a part in trying to grow. Would be nice to grow in the same area as time goes on. I know in CA we are all about appreciation, I know all about it. My father has preached it my entire life, and I know how powerful it is. My family farms here in central CA and the price of land is just outrageous, you cant gore much that will actually pay the land off. However to reach FI I cannot bank on appreciation, I rather have it as icing on the cake. 

Maybe I need to change my strategy and look into flipping instead of rentals while the market is hot here? 

Thank you all for your input! Any info just continues to fill my brain with knowledge. I know I will learn more from my first deal than anything else but don't want to jump in blind either. 

Loading replies...