Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
Hi, fellow STR investors
As there are many small projects on maintaining short-term properties, I wonder how you all pay your handymen on these projects, such as assembling furnitures, fixing a drawer, etc..
I am trying to estimate the number of hours required to finish the task and pay them by hours ($30/h in Georgia). I also try to adjust the price slightly based on the level of difficulty of the task and the number of tasks. For example, I am trying to pay $60 for assembling the console table (~2 hours to finish), and $90 for hanging TVs on the wall (~ 3hours to finish).
I wonder how you all estimate the costs of these tasks, especially in the setup phase when there are literally hundreds of them?
Investor · Placitas, NM · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 61 votes
5y
It might be more efficient to line up all these tasks and pay a day rate. Then work with the service provider to estimate the number of days for pre-approval.
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
5y
For stuff like what you are describing, I pay the same hourly no matter what they do. I have some TaskRabbit type providers who will do a variety of tasks from moving to hanging TVs to putting stuff together all for the same hourly. It's easier that way to just pay for the time, not for the difficulty. Putting together an Ikea table is a hell show for me, but for them it's just regular.
For stuff like what you are describing, I pay the same hourly no matter what they do. I have some TaskRabbit type providers who will do a variety of tasks from moving to hanging TVs to putting stuff together all for the same hourly. It's easier that way to just pay for the time, not for the difficulty. Putting together an Ikea table is a hell show for me, but for them it's just regular.
How much do you pay hourly for these tasks, just wondering. Thanks
Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager · Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL · Member since 2017 · 663 posts · 536 votes
5y
My guy can usually give me a "range" of what it will cost when I let him know what I have. A couple of them charge me $75 for the first hour, then $25/hour after that. So, basically 200-300 for a day.
As there are many small projects on maintaining short-term properties, I wonder how you all pay your handymen on these projects, such as assembling furnitures, fixing a drawer, etc..
I am trying to estimate the number of hours required to finish the task and pay them by hours ($30/h in Georgia). I also try to adjust the price slightly based on the level of difficulty of the task and the number of tasks. For example, I am trying to pay $60 for assembling the console table (~2 hours to finish), and $90 for hanging TVs on the wall (~ 3hours to finish).
I wonder how you all estimate the costs of these tasks, especially in the setup phase when there are literally hundreds of them?
Many thanks!
Lee
I think you are best asking your handyman to provide you a fixed quote price. The other option is an hourly rate. Regardless of what task they are doing, you should pay them the same hourly. If they think they are making less money on certain tasks, they are less likely to do them for you. Handyman is a skilled labor position, so whether they are hauling trash or installing a light fixture, you have a skilled laborer doing it. Maybe the answer is hiring different people for the easy tasks, if you want to pay them less.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
My usual handyman is an honest guy. I pay him by the hour. $30 for him and $25 for his assistant per hour. It's usually larger jobs (installing flooring, etc.) though I do hire them for smaller stuff from time to time and only one of them will show up for a quick fix. I pay them by check.
I've found that the handymen who quote by the job are always more expensive.
Investor · Metro East of St. Louis (Illinois) · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 211 votes
5y
This problem gets easier to solve when you get past 1-2 units. Frankly, you'll probably pay a premium if you're calling a handyman once a month vs. 2x/week. Same with the cleaning crew!