Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Avery Carl
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Votes |
Florida STR Ban Update

Avery Carl
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Posted May 15 2020, 10:28

Gov. DeSantis just announced that although we aren't moving into phase 2 of Covid reopening yet, that he is allowing each county to submit their vacation rental reopening plans to him for immediate approval (meaning prior to phase 2, when they were set to be allowed regardless). He also specifically mentioned that the panhandle counties (Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, etc) would be the ones most likely to get his approval to reopen vacation rentals as the panhandle has been significantly less affected than other areas of the state. So panhandle owners get your listings ready! I know I am making sure my prices are in order, as I we have had a LOT of action on our property even WITH the STR ban. I think we are about to see a big wave of bookings. I know many visitors were waiting to hear about this before committing to anything. Hopefully we can get approval within the next week. What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 15 2020, 14:06

Bout damn time!

User Stats

Votes
Kathy Lindsay
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tallahassee, FL
Replied May 15 2020, 15:45

@AveryCarl,

I've been emailing the Governor and all of our local elected officials 3 times a week in protest of the continuing ban so I say that it is about time! All of our STR's are in Port St Joe (Gulf County) and we have had many requests for bookings in the past week. Since we are a driveable destination we will be able to recover quickly as long as the local officials cooperate. Let's get back to business!

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Sleep Easy, Host Confidently. Manage your STRs while you sleep with innovative AI technology and an abundance of automation tools.

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied May 15 2020, 15:57

I think its a joke and another way to delay what should have been done in parallel with the hotels. This is a tactic to throw red tape and bureaucracy on the situation and make it look like he's not outright favoring the hotels. Now we have to wait for our respective county to prioritize this high enough to author a plan, submit to the Governor, have them review, possibly ask for revisions and the process begins again till they approve. It's a joke!

User Stats

Votes
Avery Carl
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Replied May 15 2020, 16:03

@Kathy Lindsay @Anand S. I think we in the panhandle are going to have it easier than a lot of the south and central Florida counties (which is garbage for the south and central counties).

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied May 15 2020, 16:06

Keep in mind that your county's plan will most likely have all kinds of conditions like 24-72 hours between bookings, Florida residents only and a host of other nonsensical requirements. 

User Stats

Votes
Avery Carl
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Replied May 15 2020, 16:22

@Anand S. not ideal, but it’s a step

User Stats

Votes
Simon Collins
  • Saint Augustine, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Augustine, FL
Replied May 15 2020, 16:45
Originally posted by @Kathy Lindsay:

@AveryCarl,

I've been emailing the Governor and all of our local elected officials 3 times a week in protest of the continuing ban so I say that it is about time! All of our STR's are in Port St Joe (Gulf County) and we have had many requests for bookings in the past week. Since we are a driveable destination we will be able to recover quickly as long as the local officials cooperate. Let's get back to business!

Where are your rentals?

I grew up in Beacon Hill and went to high school in Port St Joe.

All my family is still there.

I’ll be heading home for Memorial Day weekend....it’s been too long

User Stats

Votes
Nancy Bachety
  • Sag Harbor, NY
Votes |
  • Sag Harbor, NY
Replied May 15 2020, 17:53

Waiting for the go ahead, turning down requests now because of the ridiculous ban. Our four twenty-something aged children have been living together with one husband and one GF in our St. Augustine STR in the meantime, and that is priceless. Bookings going up in Pigeon Forge and Jax LTR haven't missed a rent payment. Diversification = sanity.

User Stats

Votes
Joey Morea
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 15 2020, 20:35

I know bay county already submitted their plan Below. I think hopefully we will be getting going here soon. I think the gov realizes how much the panhandel relays on STR as they really don't have a hotel infrastructure like other resort areas of Florida.

http://www.pcbgov.com/Home/Components/News/News/4387/18

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Rogers
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Aurora, CO
Replied May 19 2020, 09:12

We own 3 condos in the same small building on Okaloosa Island (Fort Walton Beach FL, Okaloosa County). These condos are half of our STR portfolio and have been our best performing units.

Like everyone else, we've taken an incredible financial hit with Covid-19 since March and were hoping our FL condo summer bookings would save our year. 

Yet, the ban drags on.....

I've generally been impressed with Governor DeSantis' handling of the crisis but no more. He never mentioned STRs in his press conference last Friday despite the fact that the crescendo of pleas to open STRs has been growing over the past two weeks. I know that Mayors and County Commissioners have been sending letters and emails to his office for weeks and not one received a response from his office. 

And then Friday, a reporter brought up the subject of the STR ban and the Governor off-handedly mentioned that counties can submit their plans to the DBPR for review & approval.

Huh???

Did his office EVER respond to the communications sent by the Mayors & Commissioners with this information? No. No one even knew this was the course of action until he threw it out as an off-handed remark at the end of a press conference.

It was not until late Friday evening that Executive Order 20-123 was posted with the information.

While I hope this is a sincere offer for Counties to submit a plan to safely reopen STRs in their counties I suspect it is just a stalling tactic.

Multiple counties have submitted their plans beginning Friday and over the weekend and yesterday, yet not one has been approved. You can see a list on the link below that is supposed to show the Counties and the status of their application, yet the form is blank:

http://www.myfloridalicense.co...

I've been trying to post a "New Discussion" about what steps we are taking to prepare for re-opening but having no luck (see my report here). When I am able to successully post that topic I will. 

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied May 19 2020, 09:18

All signs point to it being a stalling tactic. There was never a logical reason to single out vacation rentals while allowing hotels/motels/etc. to operate. 

From what I understand, all counties have submitted a plan yet none have been approved. 

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Rogers
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Aurora, CO
Replied May 19 2020, 10:32

Well good news! Okaloosa County & Escambia County plans among others have been approved! See this list.

Sorry, gotta go! Need to open up my calendars & listings and start taking bookings!

:-)

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Put Your Vacation Rental on Autopilot! Manage your STRs with ease and save time on hosting.

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied May 19 2020, 10:50

Great news. Fingers crossed for Broward county.

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied May 19 2020, 12:57

Upon closer inspection of the approved counties, I see only those in the panhandle/gulf areas were approved. None of the SE counties (Broward/PB/Dade) have been approved. 

From what I understand, the reopening proposals provided by the counties were all identical. So why just approve those specific counties? What are the differences you ask? Well, the panhandle/gulf area counties have very little hotel presence while the SE counties do. 

Hopefully this blatant corruption ends soon and we can all get back to doing business. 

User Stats

Votes
Avery Carl
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Replied May 19 2020, 14:18

@Anand S. you're exactly right.

User Stats

Votes
Keith C.
  • Lender
  • Central Florida Markets
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Central Florida Markets
Replied May 19 2020, 17:14

@Avery Carl if you wait on everything for approval you could be waiting a while ,, just remember the classic saying “ it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission “

User Stats

Votes
Avery Carl
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • USA
Replied May 19 2020, 17:15

@Keith C. My county is approved, so I don’t need to ask forgiveness ;)

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied May 26 2020, 15:53

Anyone know what the status is for Broward County? The beaches opened today but I don't believe VR's have been approved, so wondering if anyone knows what the holdup is.

I'm getting numerous big-ticket booking requests but not sure what to do. 

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Rogers
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Aurora, CO
Replied May 26 2020, 17:27
Originally posted by @Anand S.:

Anyone know what the status is for Broward County? The beaches opened today but I don't believe VR's have been approved, so wondering if anyone knows what the holdup is.

I'm getting numerous big-ticket booking requests but not sure what to do. 

Hi Anand,

I don't know why your county still hasn't been approved to reopen STRs, but I do see that it is not on the "approved" county list:

http://www.myfloridalicense.co...

I'm so sorry! I know how frustrating and financially scary it is not to be able to take bookings for your property. I hope they open your county soon. 

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied Jun 5 2020, 17:55

Just want to let everyone in Fort Lauderdale know that Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry issued  today. It allows Vacation Rentals to operate starting June 15th.