AirBNB is asking Congress to step in and provide relief for STRs

AirBNB is asking Congress to step in and provide relief for STRs

Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes

The following link from Business Insider discusses proposed relief that AirBNB has asked Congress to implement in light of policy changes they have made impacting property owners revenue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-asking-congress-give-tax-relief-and-loans-to-hosts-2020-3?utm_source=yahoo.com&utm_medium=referral

As has been discussed at length on the forums, AirBNB changed its policies for refunding guest cancellations regardless of the property owners own policies.

“...In the letter sent to the legislature, they have asked to pass a combination of tax relief and loan measures that would specifically benefit its network of hosts. The measures would provide both short-term help for property managers and, longer term, potentially make the short-term rental business more profitable for them...

..The company is pushing for the legislature to allow property managers to get a tax credit for the money they make offering accomodations through its service and its competitors. Alternatively, it urged Congress to allow those hosts to defer the taxes on their short-term rental income.

Airbnb also urged the legislature to make it clear that the property managers that list on its site and others are eligible for the disaster loans that are being made available through the Small Business Administration as a result of coronavirus relief law passed earlier this month.

Additionally, the company encouraged Congress to exempt more short-term rental income from taxes. Under current law, people who rent out a room in their house or other property for 14 or fewer days don't have to report the income from those transactions to the federal government or pay taxes on it. Airbnb asked Congress to bump that limit up to 60 days.

Finally, the company asked the body to encourage lenders to offer low-interest loans to hosts, using tax cuts or other such incentives...”

It will be interesting to see what, if any measures are passed to assist property owners. We surprisingly have received replacement bookings in Kissimmee for March and April. It appears some people with the ability to drive to the location are taking advantage of discounted rates. Either way, it’s times like these everyone is reminded why we keep reserves. Stay safe everyone!!

1Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @John Underwood:
Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

what @John Underwood  I'm trying not to think about all of my mortgages that must get paid whether the rent comes in or not, and if and when there will be a solution. There many companies that are in a much worse position than I am. I'm just glad I'm not Jet Blue right now. When it's all said and done, and it will be at some point, I, like John, will come out stronger and more profitable than ever. AND in the meantime my STRs are still surprisingly full. 

P.S. I'm launching a brand new short term property in a brand new (to me) market TOMORROW! Should be an interesting experiment and I'll fill you all in as we go. 

Lucas, How and why did you pick a different market than where your other STR's are located?

We picked it because I'm married to the President of STR and she told me we're buying a house on the beach. Destin. Should go live tomorrow. I'll post a new thread about it. Hopefully it goes well.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Pretty much worthless.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    I see mention of loans, that have to be paid back. I don't see tax relief on money not made to be super helpful.

    Tax credits - How would a PM or owner prove what they didn't get? Maybe how much wasn't made compared to previous year?

    I am skeptical that this will be very helpful. I'd love to be proven wrong.

    Short term, we will all feel the financial pain of what is going on. Some will be hurt worse than others and possible not survive this. The many that survive will be stronger and smarter long term.

    People doing rental arbitrage will likely see their house of cards come tumbling down.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    what @John Underwood  I'm trying not to think about all of my mortgages that must get paid whether the rent comes in or not, and if and when there will be a solution. There many companies that are in a much worse position than I am. I'm just glad I'm not Jet Blue right now. When it's all said and done, and it will be at some point, I, like John, will come out stronger and more profitable than ever. AND in the meantime my STRs are still surprisingly full. 

    P.S. I'm launching a brand new short term property in a brand new (to me) market TOMORROW! Should be an interesting experiment and I'll fill you all in as we go. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    what @John Underwood  I'm trying not to think about all of my mortgages that must get paid whether the rent comes in or not, and if and when there will be a solution. There many companies that are in a much worse position than I am. I'm just glad I'm not Jet Blue right now. When it's all said and done, and it will be at some point, I, like John, will come out stronger and more profitable than ever. AND in the meantime my STRs are still surprisingly full. 

    P.S. I'm launching a brand new short term property in a brand new (to me) market TOMORROW! Should be an interesting experiment and I'll fill you all in as we go. 

    Lucas, How and why did you pick a different market than where your other STR's are located?

  • Jonathan ConaghanPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood to be honest, I am not expecting any real assistance from the government. I have sufficient reserves to carry costs and it looks like there will still continue to be some revenue from bookings albeit at lower rates and more vacancy than usual. If this continues for an extended period, there are certainly steps the government should be able to take in regards to tax changes/credits or having loan payments halted and tacked on to the end of a loan to help with current cash flow.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    what @John Underwood  I'm trying not to think about all of my mortgages that must get paid whether the rent comes in or not, and if and when there will be a solution. There many companies that are in a much worse position than I am. I'm just glad I'm not Jet Blue right now. When it's all said and done, and it will be at some point, I, like John, will come out stronger and more profitable than ever. AND in the meantime my STRs are still surprisingly full. 

    P.S. I'm launching a brand new short term property in a brand new (to me) market TOMORROW! Should be an interesting experiment and I'll fill you all in as we go. 

    Lucas, How and why did you pick a different market than where your other STR's are located?

    We picked it because I'm married to the President of STR and she told me we're buying a house on the beach. Destin. Should go live tomorrow. I'll post a new thread about it. Hopefully it goes well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    6y

    So you are saying the str market is in trouble?

  • Jonathan ConaghanPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl I will look out for the post on the new property. Destin looks like a great market.

  • Jonathan ConaghanPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Will G. What is your definition of trouble? I think it’s safe to say that most STRs will be less profitable this year and maybe significantly. Though I expect Real estate in general is going to have a tough stretch here. A lot of industries are losing a lot of money from this. Layoffs are already happening. Consumer spending will be going down. These things will have an impact on renters. It’s a good time to have cash reserves.

  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl

    Gonna be neighbors again! Destin is an awesome vacation spot! Family has been going there and owning since before my MOM @Rhonda Blue was born. Welcome to the beach, It's gorgeous down here. Special military presence with Fort Walton right next door also! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Conaghan. This will happen when pigs fly. The government can’t bailout everybody

  • Karen ChenaillePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2017 · 165 posts · 137 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl we are on a plane headed to the Gulf coast now to “shop” in PCB. I can’t wait to see you and Avery succeed in PCB!  Please do keep us posted!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl - From what @Avery Carl texted me yesterday, the place looks great! Well done!  Oddly enough, I'm in your next of the woods this week for vacation with the family. lol  

    I'm looking forward to seeing your success in Destin -- maybe you won't bash my turf as much on BP 😂

  • Investor · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    I am printing out every cancellation and accompanying reservation information to give to our insurance company. They cover loss of income due to a pandemic so we are hoping to still get at least some of the lost income. That being said, a lot of my guests are still coming. Maybe it’s because we are in the mountains and a lot of them just stay close to the cabin instead of going out. Who knows. Crazy, crazy time.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Camille Ball, good advice.  I'm doing the same thing.  

  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Camille Ball:

    I am printing out every cancellation and accompanying reservation information to give to our insurance company. They cover loss of income due to a pandemic so we are hoping to still get at least some of the lost income. That being said, a lot of my guests are still coming. Maybe it’s because we are in the mountains and a lot of them just stay close to the cabin instead of going out. Who knows. Crazy, crazy time.

     Who is your insurance provider?

  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 399 votes
    6y

    We all got into STR for the massive margins, isn't it a a little soon for a "bailout"? Everyone's situation is different, and the next few months might be a struggle. I had about $9000 in cancelations last week, but there was second wave of last minute bookings that came through and saved me, also covid19-related. I'm curious how Airbnb itself will be - overhead, cash reserves, and a massive labor need to deal with cancelations.

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
  • Jonathan ConaghanPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Adam Tafel where are your STR?

    I think AirBNB planned to go public this year. I doubt that will be happening now.

    Additionally, I wonder how property owners will respond following all this and if they will decide to stop listing with them.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Matt "Roar" Gardner I have been trying to convince @Luke Carl it was a great market for years, but he had to come to the conclusion independently. In other words, I had to make him think it was his idea lol. 

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    @Karen Chenaille how is your smoky property doing?

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    @Camille Ball I need to call my insurance guy. Thanks for the tip.

  • Investor · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Anand S.

    We use a local company, Ownby Insurance, and the policy is held by Foremost Insurance.

  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    That's awesome that they are covering this. Mine said that they do it mostly during times of physical damage like that resulting from hurricanes. I think I'm SOL with this. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Conaghan

    Posters need to get a reality check

    1. Government may bail out airlines, banks, lenders, homeowners. Won't be bailing out businesses in the STR business

    2. Insurers won’t pay on loss of rent claims. Doesn’t matter what you thought the insurance covered. Truth of the matter is insurance policies have so many loopholes the insurers never have to pay any claim. They do pay those that not paying (1) would anger consumers (voters) and cause politicians to be angry with the industry and (2) are small relative to the profitability of the insurance marketing niche.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Camille Ball:

    @Anand S.

    We use a local company, Ownby Insurance, and the policy is held by Foremost Insurance.

     I have Foremost also. I need to read my policy. So far I have had new reservations that have filled most of my cancellations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.