Mysteries of the guest psyche

Mysteries of the guest psyche

Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

It always baffles me how many people ask if they can have early check-in to "drop off their bags" or "to make the most of the weekend" or whatever... like it's impossible to do anything at the destination until suitcases are stowed in the rental?  Why does this matter to people?  If you had cold groceries okay, I get it, but your clothes are not going to be hurt by sitting for another couple of hours.  My rentals are in places where odds of your car getting broken into are slim to none (unless it's by bears).  

What am I missing?  Why is going on a hike or out to eat or whatever so much less pleasurable if your suitcases are still in the trunk?

5Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

I think it's a matter of "we don't get out much" @Julie McCoy you've traveled, have passive income, and look at the world through a completely different set of eyeballs than the average Joe. It's a burden I also must carry. And I sure don't mind ;) 

To your point... My favorite is when they point out something that is in the listing 50 different places and then they message you the second they get there to tell you about this thing that they've already read about 50 times AND they talk to you like you've never been to or seen your property in real life. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I think it's a matter of "we don't get out much" @Julie McCoy you've traveled, have passive income, and look at the world through a completely different set of eyeballs than the average Joe. It's a burden I also must carry. And I sure don't mind ;) 

    To your point... My favorite is when they point out something that is in the listing 50 different places and then they message you the second they get there to tell you about this thing that they've already read about 50 times AND they talk to you like you've never been to or seen your property in real life. 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 397 votes
    7y

    I always offer early check in or check out when it is possible. It is just nice not to be on such a regimented schedule when you are vacationing. Your schedule is mostly likely determined by what time your flight arrives or departs. I know I would prefer to be able to enter or depart based on what time I have to be at the airport and not worry about how I was going to fill up that time. 

    I don't know about you, but I don't travel in my hiking apparel, so I would love if possible to be able drop off my stuff and change if I wanted to go for a hike when I arrived.

    It's just a nice gesture if someone else is not occupying the house and the house is ready for a couple of hours before or after the reservation when possible.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y
    I guess people perceive they are on vacation once they have dropped their bags off. I can see that a little.
  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    It always baffles me how many people ask if they can have early check-in to "drop off their bags" or "to make the most of the weekend" or whatever... like it's impossible to do anything at the destination until suitcases are stowed in the rental?  Why does this matter to people?  If you had cold groceries okay, I get it, but your clothes are not going to be hurt by sitting for another couple of hours.  My rentals are in places where odds of your car getting broken into are slim to none (unless it's by bears).  

    What am I missing?  Why is going on a hike or out to eat or whatever so much less pleasurable if your suitcases are still in the trunk?

    Ha! In urban areas, you’re often traveling by Uber so you legit need somewhere to store your bags. So maybe for your LA house that applies. I’m guessing no one’s Ubering to your Smokies houses so yeah, no clue why they cant leave their bags in their car trunks. Although it is possible they want to use the bathroom, freshen up, change clothes, etc

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    We normally can’t fit all of our luggage (2 suitcases + 2 carryons) in the trunk of a rental car.  Our last rental was a Ford Fusion, which is considered full size. We had to put one suitcase in the back seat. 

    Leaving luggage in the back seat when parked at a trailhead, restaurant, or amusement park is an invitation to get broken into.  Thieves look for that.  When eating at a restaurant like that, we try to get a window seat where we can see our car. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Lisa Graesser My properties are almost always booked back-to-back with same day turnarounds, and my cabins are far from the only ones my housekeepers clean.  While I understand that people are not necessarily looking at it from a host perspective, the check-in time exists for a reason and is as early as I can guarantee on a regular basis.  

    I'll accommodate where I can, but I have to change door code times, communicate with my housekeepers, and communicate with the guests to actually do so, for four different properties, while doing everything else in my life, so it's actually a PITA for me and not a matter of just saying "Oh sure!"

    @Eric P. I have a VR in CA but it is most definitely *not* in LA, haha - though I lived in LA for a long time so that could be the confusion.  :)  No Uber in any of my markets!  

    Also, my markets are overwhelmingly drive-to; the nearest major airports for either of them are 3+ hours away.

    But okay.  Rental car trunks are small.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Julie McCoy We have Uber and Lyft in the Smokies now! It just takes awhile because there are only 2 drivers lol.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Avery Carl:

    @Julie McCoy We have Uber and Lyft in the Smokies now! It just takes awhile because there are only 2 drivers lol.

    LMAO! More to the point, people are not ARRIVING in Ubers with all their luggage etc.

  • Property Manager · Wisconsin and Florida · Member since 2017 · 346 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    We offer early checkin and late checkout and charge for it. Another revenue stream for us! 

  • Karen ChenaillePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2017 · 165 posts · 137 votes
    7y

    @Wendy Schultz I was thinking if starting to charge for it too!  

  • Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    We always offer it. Usually guest are arriving in los Cabos late morning so if we can accomodate its a nice gesture and helps with the 5 star review. Worst case they can hang in the pool and gardens while we get everything ready (same at checkout.

  • Real Estate Agent · Texas Tennessee · Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 83 votes
    7y

    I recently accommodated a Vrbo guest, driving in from Florida, with an early check in as soon as my cleaners had finished cleaning my cabin in Sevierville.  They arrived around 1:30 (normal check-in is 4) and I didn't charge them my early check-in fee. They communicated great things about my property during their stay and that they were having a wonderful time and then left me a 4 star review that literally only says "Good.". It was my first sub 5-star review :( I learned the hard way that it was definitely not worth the extra work coordinating with my cleaner and them so they could arrive early! 

  • Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    Bummer @Reagen Natho... sorry to hear that... My only 4 star review was glowing. Best review ever. But they gave me 4 stars. Go figure.

  • Property Manager · Wisconsin and Florida · Member since 2017 · 346 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    @Karen Chenaille We charge $30 and the majority of people pay it without hesitation. It takes some coordination to make happen so it's worth charging for. 

  • Contractor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Eric P. We actually had a guest let us know they used Uber from our cabin to get to and from Gatlinburg one weekend night. So it is being done.

  • Kenosha, WI · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 81 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt Ayoub:

    Bummer @Reagen Natho... sorry to hear that... My only 4 star review was glowing. Best review ever. But they gave me 4 stars. Go figure.

    For insight into the psychology behind customer reviews I suggest you read some of the Uber/Lyft driver forums.  The consensus opinion seems to be:

    1.  Customers (i.e. riders) are uncomfortable giving a binary (very bad or very good) rating unless there have been extraordinary events.  They tend to "split the difference with a rating of 2 or 4.

    2.  Customers are unaware of the importance of feedback to you as a business proprietor and so dash off a hurried, superficial response to post-stay reviews.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    7y

    Markets and guests are different, as are hosts.

    I price x$’s to stay. This is based on obvious factors, including our expenses. If guests come in early to “drop off luggage”, that’s one thing. If they are coming in and using my utilities for “ free”, that’s another.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    7y

    @Julie McCoy Most of the time when our guests asks for an early check-in and we can accommodate they don't actually show up till after 10pm. It is like they didn't research the area and drive in through the strip in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and the eat out and take in a show. My wife and I laugh when my schlage door lock app notifies us they unlocked it 8 hrs after the time they requested an early check in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I have SO had that experience!!!  LOL  Usually they DO actually arrive more or less when they say they will, but it's not uncommon for them to arrive hours later, just as you said.  (sometimes even when they've paid me for early check-in!)

  • Northwest Arkansas · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    I'm a full-time STR-er so I have a guest perspective on this. While there is risk for a host there is always risk for a guest when renting a place too. You read as much as you can about the listing, read all the reviews but nothing puts your mind at ease then seeing the actual property. Does it match what was advertised? Are there things missing or that you need to pick up? There are amazing STRs out there with stellar hosts then there are places with lots of reviews, fabulous photos and a disappointing place. Furnishings vary so much and yes they are listed but don't always match listing. Personally, I like to know these things so I can get settled. As a host you may feel secure and comfortable with your property but this is most like your guests first time there. For a lot of guests vacations do start when you "arrive" and sometimes it is hard to get into that relax-have-fun mindset when one of your biggest factors of the vacation (housing) is still an unknown. It is a similar mindset to wanting to check into your hotel before doing your activities. To "get it out of the way".

    I often ask for an early check-in (if I need one) and appreciate when it can be accommodated but understand if it is not possible. I get the time between turnovers. If they can accommodate I always consider it when doing their review as them going above and beyond. If they charge for it I don't consider it a perk at all since I paid for it, especially if I see their calendar was free the day before. 

    On the flip side hosts ALWAYS ask when I'll be checking out even though there is a clear check-out time. This is obvious why but how is this scenario any different than a guest asking to check-in early? There are always multiple views to every scenario.  

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Most of tenants let me know about 12 hours ahead of time before they arrive.  The rest of them call me at various times of the day, I show them a place and they move in.  They don't know how long they'll stay or when they will be leaving.  Most of the time they call me in the late afternoon and say they are gone, or they call me and say tomorrow is our last day.  My tenants are refinery contractors.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brandi Scharrer:

    I'm a full-time STR-er so I have a guest perspective on this. While there is risk for a host there is always risk for a guest when renting a place too. You read as much as you can about the listing, read all the reviews but nothing puts your mind at ease then seeing the actual property. Does it match what was advertised? Are there things missing or that you need to pick up? There are amazing STRs out there with stellar hosts then there are places with lots of reviews, fabulous photos and a disappointing place. Furnishings vary so much and yes they are listed but don't always match listing. Personally, I like to know these things so I can get settled. As a host you may feel secure and comfortable with your property but this is most like your guests first time there. For a lot of guests vacations do start when you "arrive" and sometimes it is hard to get into that relax-have-fun mindset when one of your biggest factors of the vacation (housing) is still an unknown. It is a similar mindset to wanting to check into your hotel before doing your activities. To "get it out of the way".

    I often ask for an early check-in (if I need one) and appreciate when it can be accommodated but understand if it is not possible. I get the time between turnovers. If they can accommodate I always consider it when doing their review as them going above and beyond. If they charge for it I don't consider it a perk at all since I paid for it, especially if I see their calendar was free the day before. 

    On the flip side hosts ALWAYS ask when I'll be checking out even though there is a clear check-out time. This is obvious why but how is this scenario any different than a guest asking to check-in early? There are always multiple views to every scenario.  

     Thanks for your perspective, Brandi!  I agree that if you pay for early check-in, it's not a "perk".  

    Personally, I don't typically care about early check-in if the calendar is empty the night before, but that rarely happens to me.  I don't think I have EVER asked a guest when they're checking out, as I'm clear about check-out time, unless the guests are late checking out and I need to hustle them on their way so my cleaners can get in.  There's one property where we ask guests to text when they leave.  Weird that that's always been your experience, I can't think of a time when I've been asked that on the guest side, myself.

  • Northwest Arkansas · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Julie McCoy I suppose to be fair I should probably change "ALWAYS" to "VERY OFTEN" since we have stayed at probably 100 STRs by now and I'm sure it doesn't happen 100% of the time. lol  But it does happen regularly in the past 1-2 years than it ever did previously. I get it, everyone is trying to streamline the process and be efficient. I don't mind and if I know I'll share it but sometimes I am not positive yet. And we always text too when we leave, even if the host doesn't ask. Just seems like common courtesy. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Brandi Scharrer LOL fair enough!  Personally I feel like working within existing systems is the most efficient thing, with odd exceptions - but then again, I have multiple properties and my cleaners work with many others as well, so trying to manage cleanings around guests checking out an hour or two early seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.  Sure, I'll tell my cleaners if I learn of a guest checking out early in case it is helpful to them, but they've already got their schedule planned out and usually it doesn't make a difference to them.  However, I acknowledge that each situation is unique and when owners clean their own units or it's a one-off then that information becomes more valuable!  I do appreciate when guests notify me, even though I don't ask for it, as it does reflect courtesy.

  • Northwest Arkansas · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Julie McCoy That makes a lot of sense too. I can see how the disruption of a process could actually slow it down. Maybe I am not doing hosts a favor by letting them know when we leave. I guess I always thought it was also a good confirmation we are gone.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.