Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Fasheh
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Question about Short term Airbnb rentals in Bayonne, New Jersey

Christopher Fasheh
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted

Good evening everyone, 

I'm not sure if this is a highly discussed subject on bigger pockets. I know that it is illegal to use airbnb in Manhattan mainly. But does anyone know if it's legal to rent a private section of your one family home that you live in, in the area of Bayonne, NJ ?

A client of mine was fined by the city of Bayonne today for renting out his basement. Is this new? is there a way around it? 

All responds are appreciated. 

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Julie McCoy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sevierville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sevierville, TN
Replied

Look up the local zoning laws or call your local zoning commission for more information.  Or, do targeted searches regarding short term rentals in your area and see if anything's been reported on it.  It's unlikely anybody here has that knowledge about your specific area, since the regulations differ from city to city.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied

I suggest talking to your local code enforcement officials.  Most people think that they are a holes but my experience has been opposite.  But then again I have been in intimate relationships with them.  Take that with a grain of salt.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
David Lichtenstadter
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern NJ
Replied

Your client got fined for having an “illegal dwelling” and not for renting out as a “Airbnb”

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Fasheh
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied

All your replies are appreciated ! Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Urbinati
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Replied

@Christopher Fasheh did you ever find the answer to this question? Currently curious about the legality of air bnb in Bayonne, NJ and not finding much to read about it online.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Zipf
  • Software Engineer
  • North New Jersey
Votes |
  • Software Engineer
  • North New Jersey
Replied

You need 2 legal forms of egress for a basement apartment and they generally don't allow you to create new basement apartments in any jurisdiction in Hudson County as far as I have found. Among other laws that may have been broken.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Depend on type of the dwelling, zoning does not allow single room occupancy. Therefore your question is answered.