My business partner and I are looking into purchasing an RV/Glamping/Cabin campground in Central Texas, and we’re exploring the idea of placing a few RVs in some of the RV slots to rent out. We’re curious—have any of you seen success with this model, either for short-term or long-term renters?
We’re also open to alternative ideas, such as tiny homes or even those prefab homes from Home Depot or Amazon. If you have experience in the RV/camping hospitality space, I’d love to connect and hear your insights!
Anything helps—looking forward to learning from this community!
If it's an RV "stopping spot" on the way to some tourist area far away, no. But if it's an RV park near a lake or tourist destination, then an RV or 2: yes. There is no draw to travel somewhere just to stay in an RV....
I whole heartily agree there is no draw to travel somewhere just to stay in an RV.
The RV parks I've seen that have fixed RVs for rent look like low end MH parks.
Realtor · College Station, TX · Member since 2020 · 121 posts · 58 votes
1y
Hey, Brandon.
This sounds like an exciting venture! From both a real estate and STR perspective, the key to success will be choosing the right market first. Some areas are oversaturated with RV parks or tiny home communities, while others have untapped potential. Before committing, I'd highly recommend researching demand in your target area and connecting with operators who already run similar rentals there.
A tiny home or glamping concept could be a huge hit in a market where it’s fresh and unique, but in areas where it’s been done before, you’ll need to bring something innovative to stand out. Think about what would make your rentals more attractive than what’s already available—whether it’s high-end amenities, themed experiences, or a community-focused approach.
If you’re open to chatting, I’d be happy to brainstorm ideas or connect you with people who have experience in this space, only know a few but happy to make any intros I can to help you out.
Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
If it's an RV "stopping spot" on the way to some tourist area far away, no. But if it's an RV park near a lake or tourist destination, then an RV or 2: yes. There is no draw to travel somewhere just to stay in an RV....
If it's an RV "stopping spot" on the way to some tourist area far away, no. But if it's an RV park near a lake or tourist destination, then an RV or 2: yes. There is no draw to travel somewhere just to stay in an RV....
I whole heartily agree there is no draw to travel somewhere just to stay in an RV.
The RV parks I've seen that have fixed RVs for rent look like low end MH parks.
@John Underwood thank you for the information. The spot is near a couple State parks, 40 minutes from Austin, and lots of nature driven attractions around, my only worry is the popularity as I am not sure the amount of people that are flowing through the area
Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 392 posts · 183 votes
1y
@Brandon Stelling have you looked on Crexi or Loopnet for something already existing like this? I have seen a lot of these type of places for sale in TX and wish i could just pick one up and drop it in CO to do the same thing.
@Cliff Benner I have not! I will check those out and see what they are looking like!
If you start looking and start the in depth Due Diligence process, please reach out to me. I have an Acquisition Analytics service for Business purchases that are under $5mil in revenue, that I do with my Bookkeeping Firm. I can help run their existing numbers to get more of an idea of the Business's Financials and work with you on how a loan payment would affect cash flows.
Hey Brandon - That sounds like an exciting venture! RV rentals can do well, especially in popular outdoor destinations. Many hosts have success with a mix of RVs, tiny homes, and prefab cabins to attract different types of guests. Short-term stays tend to bring higher revenue, but long-term rentals can provide stability.
If the area gets strong tourist traffic, STRs could be a great fit. Also, check local zoning and park rules to ensure flexibility with different housing types. Happy to chat more—best of luck!