Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Todd Tran
Votes |
Anaheim / Disneyland

Todd Tran
Posted

Hi, anyone familiar with Anaheim/Disneyland area for STR? I saw it on a list of top 25 STR markets: https://www.fastcompany.com/91031733/housing-market-best-air... 

Is the city issuing new permits? I know the prices are high there but as long as rental prices are high too, that's ok with me. 

User Stats

Votes
Alan Curry
  • New to Real Estate
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Carmel, IN
Replied

I was doing some research on Anaheim a few months back. I looked at the city's sites about rentals and I didn't see anything that would benefit new STRs. I hope there might be a chance for new STRs, but I am not holding my breath.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied

When I did my early high level due diligence it looked to me like they weren't issuing any new permits, but I would love to be wrong on that.

I do know, having just stayed there in an airbnb, that even for existing permits the rules are extremely strict.  I'm guessing the city is extremely punitive to rule violations because most of the places we looked at had rules about not being outside after 10pm.  Not just "be quiet when outside after 10pm".  Literally "you can't be outside in the pool area after 10pm".  I'm guessing that's because too many people didn't follow through on the "keep quiet after 10pm" rule and they ended up with fines etc.

• Property Manager

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Tran
Votes |
Replied

Thanks Alan and Ryan. I did some further research on the city's website and called them and Anaheim is not issuing any new STR permits at this time. Just north of Anaheim is Fullerton and it seems they may be issuing new permits (at least it doesn't say on the website they are not issuing).

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hey Todd, that's right. Anaheim is a no go for new STRs. A while back the hotels lobbied really hard to prohibit STRs for obvious reasons. 

We used to have STRs in Fullerton before their ordinance was established. They do have an allowance for STRs now, but last I heard they may be at the cap. 

My advice, if you want to invest in STRs, is to go to vacation destinations, think National Parks, beach towns, etc, where the laws are STR friendly. This will ensure you have no problems running your STR for years to come.

• Allen Duan
  • User Stats

Votes
    Todd Tran
    Votes |
    Replied

Thanks, Allen! Super helpful.