Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Manteno, IL
Votes |
Do any agents or builders selling new construction STRs include proformas?

Mike H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Manteno, IL
Posted

As a somewhat new GC here in Sevier county, I am building to hold and building to sell.  The market for sales has slowed down considerably here.  But the margins are still there if you're willing to price these right.  What I'm wondering though is if any agaents/builders in this area or any other areas include actual proformas with their sales materials.

As a long time investor, I look at the numbers on these deals - even at retail prices - and am amazed at how good of an investments these cabins are if someone actually looks at all the numbers.  

We've got a large 3 bedroom cabin with somewhat conservative rental projections for sale that I think if people actually saw all the returns on the investment over time, it would be a no brainer. But I think people tend to look at what a rental property is going to do in year 1 and just pass it by.

i.e. Cabin will appraise at a little over a million (1,050,000) and we could sell it for 950k and still be happy on our end.  Assuming they could finagle a 10% down payment loan and put up 95k, they'd owe 855k and have close to 200k in equity.  At a rate of roughly 7.25, they'd likely only make about 7k a year net after everything (property management, expenses, etc).  So I could see why they doesn't seem as appealing on a 95k investment.   But the reality is they'd also gain 42k in appreciation (assuming 4% which is conservative out there), and another 8k in principal paydown.  And they'd be able to use the additional depreciation to write off regular income and save about 5k on their taxes.

So what is the real return on their 95k investment.  Well one would be the equity capture they'd gain right off the get go by buying below market (100k), plus the 7k net rental income, 42k appreciation, 8k principal paydown and 5k from tax writeoff on regular income = 162k is what they'd technically gain.  But thats only in year 1.

Where things really work out in real estate investing is over time as the mortgage stays the same but the rents increase.
After year 6,  that property would be worth 1.33 million (again, assuming the 4% appreciation) and they'd have a remaining loan balance of 791k which gives them 539k in equity.  Their net rental income for that year 6 (assuming 5% rental increases per year but increases in management fees, utilities, taxes, insurance) would be 24k.  Their principal paydown in year 6 would increase to 11,500 per year, and their appreciation for that year along would be just over 50k. 

So in year 6, that same 95k initial investment they made is going to allow them to gain 24k net rental income (and the depreciation is still enough to cover that so it would be TAX FREE), 51k, in appreciation, 11,500 principal paydown = roughly 86k in total return in year 6.
So a 95k investment after 6 years would give them an asset that they'd have 539k in equity.  And they would have added 86k in total return in that year.

As an investor that built up a nice portfolio after the bust through covid where I got to 83 sfh's, the returns on these str's, are just silly. And whats even more impressive is that the numbers include property management built in so its much more passive then managing yourself. And you have no risk of evictions and, depending on your management company, you get most of your damages covered even.

So I'm wondering if maybe investors just need to see the actual proformas and what these numbers look like with some basic assumptions (i.e. annual rent increases, annual appreciation) to really hit home how good these numbers truly are.   To me the biggest risk to STRs is the municipalities shutting down the ability for owners to rent homes out short term.  And that is one of the reasons I really like sevier county.  The subdivisions are specifically zoned to allow STRs or they aren't.  

Loading replies...