Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rosy Baeza
Votes |
Short-Term Rentals in Miami

Rosy Baeza
Posted

Has anyone experienced pushbacks on short term rental licenses in unincorporated Miami Dade County? I recently heard David Greene’s horror story about a short term rental license going bad in the north Miami Beach area (inspector looking for issues to pick at with the property and tagging the property for issues to avoid granting a rental license), and I was curious about people’s experiences in unincorporated Miami Dade. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Hey @Rosy Baeza, there are lots of areas in Miami where STRs are not allowed. It doesn't surprise me.

Have you called the city to get the skinny on areas where it is allowed? Many condo HOA's also disallow STRs.

You have to due your diligence!

User Stats

Votes
Rosy Baeza
Votes |
Replied

Thanks @Michael Baum. They’re allowed in the area I’m focused on. What I’m wondering is—even though they’re allowed in unincorporated miami dade county—if folks who have applied for licenses in this county are getting obstacles thrown at them preventing them from getting licenses. In other words, while it’s permissible, if inspectors are giving a hard time for the sake of not granting licenses. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Ok @Rosy Baeza. I get ya.

So you have a single incident. If you know it is allowed in the area you are looking, but have seen one person have a problem, I wouldn't make a big change to my thinking based on a single incident.

I haven't heard of anyone having the same issue.

Plus you are getting only one side of the equation. There could have been some actual issues that the inspector had that the owners felt were non issues.

If you have a specific property in mind, maybe call the inspectors office and get info on the process and what they are looking for when inspecting for a STR.

You might be able to have one come out before the purchase to get their opinion. I have had pretty good luck with various inspectors on other things. I was able to call them and give them a run down of my progress on a project and they were happy to give advice.

They are just people and most don't want to cause issues for owners. They just want to make sure everything is copacetic.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Rosy Baeza:

Thanks @Michael Baum. They’re allowed in the area I’m focused on. What I’m wondering is—even though they’re allowed in unincorporated miami dade county—if folks who have applied for licenses in this county are getting obstacles thrown at them preventing them from getting licenses. In other words, while it’s permissible, if inspectors are giving a hard time for the sake of not granting licenses. 

switch the zoning or rezone to hotel or a permitted grandfathered zoning instead of looking for the license go bigger and get it permanent not just one unit. loophole but very powerful how a lot of condo development is moving forward in miami they are hotels technically 

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied

I have a realtor friend that knows the Miami STR regulations like the back of her hand. If you're interested in making the connection, DM me.