Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Keith Mintz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
How’s your arbitrage experience?

Keith Mintz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

I'm curious how other STR arbitrage investors in San Diego are doing? What areas do you look in, what do you look out for?

I have a good arbitrage opportunity in close to downtown and wondering if I should take it on or partner up with someone. I mainly manage but I haven't done STR arbitrage yet and I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Hey @Keith Mintz, I am not a fan of arbitrage myself. San Diego has some spotty regs here and there plus it requires a permit of which there are waiting lists.

https://www.sandiego.gov/treasurer/short-term-residential-oc...

Check the address against the zoning and read those regs to make sure you can do it at that location.

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied

I have STRs and MTRs in San Diego and have had some since 1999. 

My STR performance is the lowest ever excluding the Great Recession and Covid lock down periods. I use a PM on our STRs and MTRs and my performance after PM fees is no better than if they were LTRs.

Downtown area, last I heard, still had STR permits available (unlike Mission Beach).

Good luck

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Keith Mintz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied
Quote from @Dan H.:

My STR performance is the lowest ever excluding the Great Recession and Covid lock down periods. I use a PM on our STRs and MTRs and my performance after PM fees is no better than if they were LTRs.

Downtown area, last I heard, still had STR permits available (unlike Mission Beach).

Good luck

Oh wow what rate are you paying for STR PM fees?

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied
Quote from @Keith Mintz:
Quote from @Dan H.:

Good luck

Oh wow what rate are you paying for STR PM fees?

Going rate at beach areas is 25%.  The average occupancy is way down, the rates are a little down.  My units exceeded the reported average occupancy in each of their areas (by a modest amount).  Walk around Mission Beach right now.  I am rehabbing a mission beach unit.  The occupancy even over spring break was low compared to usual.