Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Bedell
Votes |
Changing My Residency to STR...What Should I Know?

Daniel Bedell
Posted Jun 14 2023, 05:52

I am in the process of building a STR in the mountains outside of Denver. Between the time I bought the land and started the build the county changed the STR laws, making them much stricter and more expensive. Now the law says that the amount of licenses issued will only equal 5% of the homes in the county, so about 150 total licenses. And of course I can only get a license the build is done, I won't be done for a few more months and the licenses are now gone.

The one caveat to the rule is that is you are renting as owner occupied you are not restricted by the 5% rule. So if I change my residency I think I am good to go and can be a resident in the new county at least until a license becomes available. I was planning on managing and cleaning the property myself at first anyway so being up there a lot like I was a resident isn't really an issue. My wife wouldn't change her residency so I think we should be fine with our kids school and all that. Also currently I have a private loan for the building costs and I could extend it a while, though I would like to eventually get a traditional mortgage which I know then starts make the whole owner occupant thing a higher legal bar, though I'm not exactly sure what the method is for legally determining how much time someone is "living" somewhere. 

What else do I need to know? Do I have to register a car in the new county, is this going to weirdly screw with my taxes or something else that I am not aware of?

User Stats

Votes
Ben Rhodin
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 14 2023, 07:59

Hey @Daniel Bedell! First obligatory note, don't take this as legal advice, there are always risks with these types of items, especially if you are involving loans. But in general, as far as counties, and especially the smaller mountain counties, are pretty lax on enforcement, and claiming it as your primary is as easy as putting your mailing address there. The Loan will be the tougher part, as they will scrutinize more to base it as your primary. Say you work in Denver 5 days a week, and your wife tells your lender that she plans to stay there, then they will probably not approve it, as it's not reasonable that you actually plan on using it as your primary.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jun 14 2023, 08:07

Changing your residency means you must live in the house full time.

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Host and Toast STR Networking Events Meet and learn from other STR investors at events in Orlando, Atlanta, Austin, and LA this October.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Bedell
Votes |
Replied Jun 14 2023, 08:50
@Ben Rhodin Thanks for the response. Yeah that was my understanding too. I'm a freelance photographer and writer so was just planning on doing that work at the rental/primary when it isn't rented, staying up there some of the nights when it's not rented, registering my license etc there. From what I have read husband and wife can technically have different residences though I am sure it isn't common and would potentially raise some red flags with the lender and leave the decision up to their discretion. Does all that sound about right to you? Like I said my building loan is a private loan so it may just be best to extend that until I can get a STR license without being owner occupied and by then hopefully the rental will be showing as an income stream to a bank anyway. It's obviously not ideal to be doing be forced to go this route but life often isn't ideal. 

Anything else from your experience in the area to keep in mind? 

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Jun 14 2023, 08:54

My, kudos to you for tackling a sticky situation! I'm not sure how you would change residency within a state, besides changing the address on your license and maybe the address of the car registration. Unless you have some interesting state or county laws, it shouldn't affect taxes because your still within the same state.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jun 14 2023, 09:59

Yeah, it doesn't bode well when you start off your STR journey by breaking or skirting local laws.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Elvin
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, TN
Replied Jun 14 2023, 11:28

@Daniel Bedell From the Gilpin county website: https://gilpincountyorg.sharep...
"Per Gilpin County Zoning Regulations Section 13: A “County Resident” is a Colorado resident who lives in Gilpin County. An individual shall be considered a county resident when at the time the individual applies for or receives services issued by the Community Development Department, the person is living and has established an ongoing presence with the declared, good faith intention of living in Gilpin County for a permanent or indefinite period of time.".

When you move there's a notice requirement of thirty days: https://gilpincountyorg.sharep...
Section 2, (B), (5), (a)  (ii)
I don't know how the county would view it if you and your wife have separate residences, while married without any type of legal separation. 
The fines for a violation of the ordinance starts at $250/day. Section 3, (E), (1)
Just an opinion of some guy on the internet. Nothing should be construed as legal or tax advice, nor construed as useful. :)
Best to you in figuring out a path forward! It sucks that the rules changed mid game.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Bedell
Votes |
Replied Jun 14 2023, 16:21

Thank you very much @Richard Elvin that's helpful I hadn't seen that. I mean I will be up there as much as a residence just paying more taxes and fees than a normal resident...so hopefully that helps. I need to just start referring to my self as a real resident who commutes for family and resides for work.  Yes the rules changing mid game really sucks...haha thank you for seeing my pain!