Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stefhan Malherbe
  • Investor
  • Palm Beach
Votes |
Insurance provider for STR in a 1970's property

Stefhan Malherbe
  • Investor
  • Palm Beach
Posted

Hello,

I've been struggling insuring my property while I was renting it as a long term rental due to the property age (1970's). Speaking to other LL, we all have the same issue, only Citizens or Heritage insure properties in my area that are built in the 1970's.

My issue is neither of these insurance providers insure STRs. My insurance agent just informed me that they cannot find any insurance provider which will provide coverage now that I operate the property as a STR.

There are 100's of SRT's in my area, many of these properties are the same age as mine and a lot of them are even older. If I cannot get my property insured then neither can they.. 

I need to find a solution, if anyone has any advice or know of an insurance provider that will insure a 1970's STR property in south Florida please let me know.

Mortgage rates have increased to the point where the property is not viable as a LTR.

I appreciate any feedback. 

Loading replies...