Month to Month Rent Increases limit Wisconsin

Month to Month Rent Increases limit Wisconsin

Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes

Is there a limit to rent increases on a month to month lease in Wisconsin?  I am looking to do go from $1,850 to $2,300.00. They have been a long good  tenant .    Also dose anyone the amount of notice I need to give on a month to month? 30,60,90 days?

Thank you

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

https://datcp.wi.gov/Documents...

There are no limits to rent increases. If they are on a month-to-month, you can change the terms with a notice of more than 28 days.

It's important to learn the laws of your state and know where to find/reference them. I highly recommend "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. It's full of practical advice and points you directly to your state law. They also have a great website that is kept current with specific issues.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    https://datcp.wi.gov/Documents...

    There are no limits to rent increases. If they are on a month-to-month, you can change the terms with a notice of more than 28 days.

    It's important to learn the laws of your state and know where to find/reference them. I highly recommend "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. It's full of practical advice and points you directly to your state law. They also have a great website that is kept current with specific issues.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    5y

    All of  Nathan's answers are good ones.  I just want to add that depending on what your situation is (if you are trying to avoid an immediate vacancy) on MTMs I have done two-fold increases lately.  Instead of raising it $125 off the bat, for instance, I will issue the first increase for $85 then about 6-7 months later do the remaining $40. I time the last one to be either before October or after Janurary.  If you are trying to avoid vacancy it could really go south if they move out 11/30 as few people move in December and the first half of Janurary.  

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    The amount of notice is in your written lease, which you do have... right? I recommend following the WI statutes in Chapter 704 called Landlord and Tenant. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Look up your state and local laws.  A google search said 28 days for Wisconsin and no limit.  I'm not sure if there are more local laws.  A rent increase of $450 is likely going to result in them giving notice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.