Commercial Zoning And Insurance On A Residential Unit?

Commercial Zoning And Insurance On A Residential Unit?

Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 5 votes

I own a fourplex in Indiana that is zoned residential and thus taxed and insured as a residential dwelling. I am in the process of purchasing another fourplex, about a mile away in the same zip code, but for whatever reason it's zoned as 4-19 family apartments. The property has no commercial business or storefront. The only thing that differs between the two properties is the new one has a common area stairwell that leads to the two upper units. My current fourplex has four completely separate entrances and the two upper units have their own stairwell. Not only are the property taxes higher on this new property, but my insurance broker told me I will have to insure it via a commercial policy. The cost of insurance is about $800 more a year. The new property is newer and smaller than the one I currently own, so how could it be so much more expensive to insure and why are they requiring a commercial policy? Also, how could property taxes be almost a thousand dollars more each year? Is this really all because of a common area stairwell?

Does anyone have any advice on this or recommendations for insuring it? I currently have Travelers, but according to my broker they won't insure it because they're deeming it a commercial property. It seems like a strange technicality to me especially since there’s more potential liability because of the age and square footage on the current property I own. Are there any recommendations for getting this rezoned as a residential dwelling with the county? Many thanks!

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Dave Jackson

It is very normal to have a business owner /commercial policy on a rental property. It sounds like the current 4-plex is considered your home and may have an owner occupied policy on it? The business owner/commercial policy usually has much higher limits; like $1 million of liability. I would suggest finding an independent insurance agent to source the best policy for you.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Dave Jackson

    It is very normal to have a business owner /commercial policy on a rental property. It sounds like the current 4-plex is considered your home and may have an owner occupied policy on it? The business owner/commercial policy usually has much higher limits; like $1 million of liability. I would suggest finding an independent insurance agent to source the best policy for you.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dave Jackson:

    I own a fourplex in Indiana that is zoned residential and thus taxed and insured as a residential dwelling. I am in the process of purchasing another fourplex, about a mile away in the same zip code, but for whatever reason it's zoned as 4-19 family apartments. The property has no commercial business or storefront. The only thing that differs between the two properties is the new one has a common area stairwell that leads to the two upper units. My current fourplex has four completely separate entrances and the two upper units have their own stairwell. Not only are the property taxes higher on this new property, but my insurance broker told me I will have to insure it via a commercial policy. The cost of insurance is about $800 more a year. The new property is newer and smaller than the one I currently own, so how could it be so much more expensive to insure and why are they requiring a commercial policy? Also, how could property taxes be almost a thousand dollars more each year? Is this really all because of a common area stairwell?

    Does anyone have any advice on this or recommendations for insuring it? I currently have Travelers, but according to my broker they won't insure it because they're deeming it a commercial property. It seems like a strange technicality to me especially since there’s more potential liability because of the age and square footage on the current property I own. Are there any recommendations for getting this rezoned as a residential dwelling with the county? Many thanks!

    Zoning can be troublesome.  You can try to get the property rezoned to a more favorable and realistic zoning, but that takes time and there are no guarantees.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Charles Carillo

    Thanks for the response. The current four plex is not my primary residence. It's fully rented out. This is why I thought it was strange that just because the other property is zoned commercially, they won't insure it, forcing me to go with another company. Other than the zoning classification, there is little difference between the two properties and I applied for insurance the same way.

    @Stephanie P.

    Right, seems like it can be a headache. What I thought was strange for the insurance side was that the agent told me even if I get it rezoned as a residential property, the insurance company would still consider it a commercial property.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dave Jackson:

    @Charles Carillo

    Thanks for the response. The current four plex is not my primary residence. It's fully rented out. This is why I thought it was strange that just because the other property is zoned commercially, they won't insure it, forcing me to go with another company. Other than the zoning classification, there is little difference between the two properties and I applied for insurance the same way.

    @Stephanie P.

    Right, seems like it can be a headache. What I thought was strange for the insurance side was that the agent told me even if I get it rezoned as a residential property, the insurance company would still consider it a commercial property.

    Consider a different insurance agent.  Different companies have different rules. If a property is zoned residential, has no store front, no commercial zoning and no commercial features, it shouldn't be considered commercial.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.