Long Term Tenant wants to invest in upgrade

Long Term Tenant wants to invest in upgrade

Investor 路 Windsor Mill, MD 路 Member since 2010 路 29 posts 路 11 votes

I have a tenant that has been renting my house more than 10 years.  This morning she asked if she could put a plexiglass shower door in the bathroom.  I am not good with that.  It is not her house and I don't want her thinking she can just make changes in my property on a whim.  My response is for her to send me what is looking at.

I'm worried this has legal ramifications and wanted to ask the community if they have ever had this issue.

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 路 154 posts 路 108 votes
5y

I don't see a problem with the upgrade as long as you are in control and use your contractor to do the work.

Be happy they asked for permission instead of asking for forgiveness!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 路 154 posts 路 108 votes
    5y

    I don't see a problem with the upgrade as long as you are in control and use your contractor to do the work.

    Be happy they asked for permission instead of asking for forgiveness!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Colorado Springs, CO 路 Member since 2020 路 433 posts 路 284 votes
    5y

    After 10 years it may be time for an upgrade? I agree with Bill, get your person to do the work. That way you can control the quality of the work, and the liability issues. Sounds like a great tenant, you must be doing good things, congrats 

  • Deland, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y

    10 years good tenant 


    I would happily give them that 

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Grand Prairie, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Michele Galloway

    I do all kinds of nice things for my good tenants that have been around for over a year or two. I upgrade all kinds of things even though it kills my cash flow. I look at them as customers who are paying off my mortgages and taking care of my properties. Heck, I鈥檓 spending 10k remodeling a kitchen and putting in a carport for one of my good tenants. I hope to keep them for a decade or two.

  • Augusta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y

    I am going to assume this person has been a good tenant; i.e., paying the rent on time, not being overly demanding regarding upgrades, reporting needed repairs before they cause real damage to your rental property, correct?

    In other words, the type of long term tenant many of us would love to have.

    Start checking out the cost of doing this and have your person install one of these.  They will increase the value of your property, keep a long term tenant happy and may help with any water damage from a shower splashing onto the bathroom floor.

    Gail

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Laurel, MD 路 Member since 2016 路 378 posts 路 382 votes
    5y

    @Michele Galloway 10 years! That's awesome, I would let her know that you would be happy to see about getting the upgrade done. Then I would ask if anything else is in need of upgrading. Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Laurel, MD 路 Member since 2016 路 378 posts 路 382 votes
    5y

    @John Morgan New kitchen and car port, have any vacancies? 馃檪

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Grand Prairie, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tim Miller:

    @John Morgan New kitchen and car port, have any vacancies? 馃檪

    Haha!! And these people have a detached 2 car garage filled with their junk. They set up flimsy canvas tents along the side of their house over the driveway to protect their cars. They were shocked when I told them I鈥檇 do a carport along with this nice kitchen with new cabinets, stone backsplash over granite counters. I got them a new stainless steel fridge and dishwasher too. I鈥檓 probably too nice. Lol. But I value my good low maintenance tenants and will treat them well if they stay long term. Their previous landlord they had for the last 10 years didn鈥檛 do anything. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    5y

    This seems like a pretty reasonable request for a tenant that's paid your mortgage for ten years. It's a couple hundred dollars to have a licensed contractor install it.

    I assume the tenant is good since you've kept them for ten years. Put it in and keep them happy so they stick around for another ten.

    If you're too stingy to spend a few hundred dollars, increase the rent $30 a month and it will pay for itself in a year.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.