I have moved overseas and had to hire someone to manage the front garbage cans and also keep the sidewalk and street clear of garbage. (Sanitation officials just love to give citations for this.) He lives a few blocks away and comes to the house (2-fam, in the Bronx) about 3-4 times a week, and I pay him $300/month. (Another guy wanted to charge $350.) Now that he shoveled snow, he wants more for that service. Does this sound reasonable? I don't want to be cheap, but I also don't want to be ripped off... Thanks!
Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
5y
Hi Chris, we had about 20 inches last week and are expecting 8 more tomorrow. Nobody will shovel that for free. If he otherwise does a good job I'd say its a good investment to pay the extra the few times we get heavy snow.
Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 17 votes
5y
Hi Christopher, I have a rental in Chicago where were getting quite a bit of snow too. My tenant takes off $60/mo in rent from Dec-Feb and he shovels for me. I dont have the trash issue that you do, he just handles snow. He takes this off the rent regardless if it actually snows in those months or not and if it snows a day in March hes takes it off for the month too.
If you can find a tenant who is willing my vote is thats your best bet.
Thank you both very much for the info! Since it was not part of what I was paying him, I agreed to pay him the additional $200 he asked for, for the 3 visits. It's a big house on a corner, with a lot of sidewalk area, plus steps leading up to both apts. Plus it was a LOT of snow.
Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
5y
Hi Chris, we had about 20 inches last week and are expecting 8 more tomorrow. Nobody will shovel that for free. If he otherwise does a good job I'd say its a good investment to pay the extra the few times we get heavy snow.