Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
MarieChele Porter
Pro Member
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Renting out my first house hack

MarieChele Porter
Pro Member
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted

Hi all,

I put my house on the market for rent 12/31 and have already received upwards of 50 inquiries.... This has lit a fire under me like no other.. I wish I had more houses to offer !! I have these thoughts of omg people are actually excited about moving in my home and paying my mortgage for me !! Yessss, I have been pre-screening tenants and hearing so many stories so it keeps me humble... 

Some questions that have came up though... 50 leads I only have one house !! I finally just stopped marketing it on most websites this evening as I feel like I'm already going to have to turn a lot of people away. Through pre-screening I've been able to ditch some of the people that are just playing around and also those that don't qualify for whatever reason.  My question is should I have kept marketing it? When do you stop marketing? Do you get to a certain number of people and stop or do you continue until the house is filled? I won't be able to show it until Wednesday so that's a part of the reason I pulled marketing. I have to thank the forums because the biggest amount of leads came from turbo tenant which is a site I learned about through here.

Another question is with how many leads I have I feel like I will have a ton of people I have to deny. I am not letting people apply until after the showings btw... How do you decide who to deny? I want to follow the rules to the T to make sure I am not breaking any laws but I just wonder if it comes down to 2 tenants that are both equally qualified do I just pick the one I like better? Or that I feel is the most responsible? What are some good tips? I'm in Fresno, California and if any one knows CA it is tenant friendly so I just want to make sure I'm crossing "T" and dotting "I's"

Last question, the central valley is heavy with immigrants. Is it possible to screen a tenant properly that doesn't have a SSN?

Thank you,

MarieChele

Loading replies...