Can you expense septic costs from rental income?

Can you expense septic costs from rental income?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 6 votes

I’m not sure if I’m asking the question correctly but if you have a rental and pay for the septic costs for your tenants (basically water included) when doing taxes can you use that as deductions/expense against the income from the rental income?

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Patryk Prokopiuk

You can deduct operating expenses.  Capital improvements should be depreciated.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    I'm not an accountant, but what my understanding is - you can deduct any out of pocket expenses.  Some you have to depreciate like new appliances.  But, in simple tax returns that I've done, I put down how much money came in from a rental, and I put down everything that went out, and depreciate the things that require that.

    So, short answer, in my opinion - yes, you can list septic costs as a deduction.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Patryk Prokopiuk

    You can deduct operating expenses.  Capital improvements should be depreciated.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Yes, septic pumpings and maintanence can be treated just like a sewer or water bill when you are doing your expenses. Replacing a septic is a capital expense just like a roof.  check out the business expenses publication by the IRS to get a flavor for what you should consider expenses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.