Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
E.S. Burrell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Michigan
Votes |
Tenants want LL to pay for their broken TV

E.S. Burrell
  • Michigan
Posted Nov 11 2020, 05:47

Hi All

Tenants lost power throughout the house. Electrician was called to investigate the problem. He said there was a power surge and got the lights working. The furnace quit working. My furnace guy said that the furnace needed a transformer. Furnace is now working. Tenant plugged in TV and TV is not working but everything else that is plugged in outlet works. Am I responsible for replacing the TV? Tenant does not have renters insurance. Thank you. I’m taking notes from your responses.

User Stats

Votes
E.S. Burrell
  • Michigan
Votes |
  • Michigan
Replied Nov 12 2020, 14:19

You all have been soooooooo helpful........

I have decided NOT to replace the TV for these reasons:

1. It's stated three times in my lease to get renters insurance and I am not responsible for personal property.

2. Electrician fee: $200; HVAC fee: $125 = $325 ( who knows how much the TV will cost ) 

However, I have decided to purchase  two surge trips for my tenant and explain the importance of using them and the importance of having renter's insurance. I empathize with them but I have to draw the line somewhere...nipping it in the bud. 

I'm working on my 7th rental and have already added mandatory renter's insurance AND power surge strips to the lease. Experience is the best teacher. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 12 2020, 14:58

@E.S. Burrell maybe require renters insurance in the future?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Nov 12 2020, 15:26

This would be an absolute hard NO........not a chance in hell. I'm frankly shocked at the people that want to replace the TV to make their tenant "happy". I get the "make the tenant happy and they stay and I make more $$", but for god's sake, where does that end? If you want to open that can of worms to appease every tenant want and wish, more power to you and good luck with that....

Yes "its only $300"..... but you just gave the green light for the next tenant demand.....and the next....

Unless there is an issue that I caused or could have predicted was going to happen and I failed to act, then don't look at me pay for the stuff than happens in a tenants life.

They have surge protectors and rental insurance for a reason.......

Only thing I may do is look into a whole house surge protector....and make sure my lease coves these issues...... other than that, not gonna happen.....

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Nov 12 2020, 15:26

Whatever you do triple check there is not a "loose neutral" condition. There can be a loose neutral on your side or the power companies. I had a loose neutral that blew up 2 appliances. It's funny because I was thinking about this today again (it happened a year ago). I was thinking of adding something to lease for it. The power company can come out and add a dummy load (some call it the beast) to your meter and see if there are any issues. They had to replace all lines coming from the pole to house before it was fixed. This is after they told me there was no issue on their side and I proceeded to replace every damn light and outlet and switch in the entire unit. 

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Nov 12 2020, 15:39

Several people suggested renters insurance. My guess is that insurance would not cover the TV. no way to know if the surged caused the fail, what caused the surge and if has something to do with subject wiring... 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Smyth
Pro Member
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Nov 12 2020, 16:05

Want in one hand. And poop in the other all day if you want. See which hand gets full first!

A claim against the Renter's Insurance policy is in order. Oh, they didn't need a renter's insurance policy. Thats OK, because they can try a claim with the electric company.

Unless such coverages are stipulated in the LEASE, there is no legal basis for the LL to pay a dime for damages.

I knew about and secured renter's insurance back before seatbelts and liability insurance was required for drivers.

The tenant should be pointed to the closest State Farm agent, and they should say thankyou!

Nothing else to say about it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Robbins
  • Property Manager
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Nov 12 2020, 16:43

@E.S. Burrell Does your lease specify that the tenant is required to maintain renters insurance?  If it does, and the tenant let the insurance lapse (or never had it) then I would point to that.  If it were me I would call renters insurance and ask them if a situation like the one you encountered would cover a broken TV.  Then I would call the tenant and let them know that is exactly why tenant insurance is required.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 12 2020, 16:52

@E.S. Burrell

This should not be your fire to put out. Power surges are commonplace and people know that. If it were your personal home and an expensive item was destroyed, you would look to your insurance policy.... because you are responsible enough to have one. So should your renter. If they failed to take out a renters insurance policy, that is a lesson learned. Maybe a tough lesson, but a lesson regardless. You literally had no hand in the damage of their TV.

In the future, it may be worth adding to your lease agreement and after reading your post I know that I will be adding it to mine!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Nov 12 2020, 18:37
Originally posted by @E.S. Burrell:

Hi All

Tenants lost power throughout the house. Electrician was called to investigate the problem. He said there was a power surge and got the lights working. The furnace quit working. My furnace guy said that the furnace needed a transformer. Furnace is now working. Tenant plugged in TV and TV is not working but everything else that is plugged in outlet works. Am I responsible for replacing the TV? Tenant does not have renters insurance. Thank you. I’m taking notes from your responses.

How did you do your lease? It's always advisable to have a clause in there stating something to the effect of "landlord ain't responsible if your crap breaks" With that said it would be very unlikely that I would consider buying the tenant a new TV. 

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Placerville, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Placerville, CA
Replied Nov 13 2020, 07:33

@Nate Fleming great to see another EC on this forum. 2020 NEC 230.67

Panel replacement/upgrade requires whole house surge protection. Looks EUSERC hashing out joule requirements.

According to California State License Board the most misused, poorly executed trade is electrical. Here in CA anyone working on 100va or above must be a certified j-man or licensed contractor.

Homeowners, handymen & "investors" provide lots of job security ;)

Be safe out there

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 13 2020, 08:15

@Kyle J.

Thanks food info! Thanks for your reply and comment

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Nov 13 2020, 21:57
Originally posted by @E.S. Burrell:

You all have been soooooooo helpful........

I have decided NOT to replace the TV for these reasons:

1. It's stated three times in my lease to get renters insurance and I am not responsible for personal property.

2. Electrician fee: $200; HVAC fee: $125 = $325 ( who knows how much the TV will cost ) 

However, I have decided to purchase  two surge trips for my tenant and explain the importance of using them and the importance of having renter's insurance. I empathize with them but I have to draw the line somewhere...nipping it in the bud. 

I'm working on my 7th rental and have already added mandatory renter's insurance AND power surge strips to the lease. Experience is the best teacher. 

I'm just so impressed by you.  You are so successful, yet so humble about asking questions - which is probably why you're so successful.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
E.S. Burrell
  • Michigan
Votes |
  • Michigan
Replied Nov 14 2020, 02:17

@Sue K. Thank you!!! 😊😊