Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
L Belle
Votes |
Rentals during covid

L Belle
Posted Jul 1 2020, 08:14

HI All

I am in  need of guidance.  I am a first time Landlord in Maryland of a row home in a C class neighborhood. I finished the updates, inspections and licensing right when the pandemic/ shelter in place hit in March-April 2020. Now I have a beautifully updated “C“ level property without a tenant. I am on the fence about renting it out now due to covid laws, freezes on evictions,  freezes on late payments etc., and can’t find much information on what other investors are doing during this time.  I have had a quite a few applicants and even after pre qualifying them with details such as income needing to be 3x the rent, proof of income and credit scoring needing to be at least 600 or more, the applicants end up not meeting the qualifications that they attested to. 
Considering the neighborhood is very low income, and with the extra $600 pandemic unemployment coming to end in July, I don’t think it make sense to rent out the property at this time.  I dislike the thought of the property sitting vacant and costing me a few hundred dollars per month but I’d also hate for all off the money I just spent renovating the property to be a waste and I will have to redo everything over again.  It just feels like an opportunity for someone to get into the property and possibly end up not paying anymore rent while I‘all have no recourse causing all of my efforts and $$ to be in vain.

I do own the property outright, I have an alarm system on the property and there are monthly ($300) expenses on this empty property. 

Please advise if I am missing something or if I am spot on with my decision to not rent at this time and what signs should I look for letting me know when it’s time to start renting or anyways to pivot during this time.  

Any insight from you seasoned Landlords/ Investors would be appreciated 

Loading replies...