Applicant talked about withholding rent and suing prev landlord

Applicant talked about withholding rent and suing prev landlord

Albany · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Would you ever consider an applicant who talked about (as to why they are moving) how they had to withhold rent and take their previous landlord to court (I'm not sure who initiated actually), even if they were completely right and justified?

My gut here is to say: no, there are enough applicants out there and just find one who hasn't had this situation.

It makes me wonder though if tenants in that situation are just in a "screwed if I do, screwed if I don't" situation. This specific example was that the landlord was not making necessary essential repairs and in the end only was entitled to half of the withheld rent. 

To add onto this, if this comes out during the pre-screening process before you've made an appointment, do you still agree to show them the apartment and move forward with the application process or how would you handle this?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

CA & NV · Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 378 votes
6y

I agree with @Howard Herrington. There are plenty of good applicants where you don't have to risk it.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 159 posts · 75 votes
    6y

    @Nick Carlson I would personally pass on this applicant.  Were you able to reach out to their previous 2 or 3 landlords to see if this is a pattern?  If you do not feel comfortable with showing them the apartment or moving forward then let them know that you have decided not to move forward with them.

  • CA & NV · Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 378 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Howard Herrington. There are plenty of good applicants where you don't have to risk it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If he's talking this, I'd be walking...and thanking him for "sharing."

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    While tempting since it is the easiest thing to do, I don't think that I'd penalize him just for this. Landlords almost always ask for the prior landlords contact info. This guy knows this and is just giving you an honest heads-up as the prior landlord may trash talk him. It sounds like the court agreed that the landlord was in the wrong. It sounds like he is doing everything correctly.

    Unless you are flooded with better applications, I'd ask for the landlord info from the one prior to this and see if there were any similar issues. And call the current landlord. Perhaps they would admit to their mistakes?

    You can also look online in many places to see court records and see if he filed other suits or if other people filed suits against this current landlord.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    Next!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.