Tenant wants 220v outlet for clothes dryer

Tenant wants 220v outlet for clothes dryer

Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes

I have a tenant requesting the current 110v outlet be upgraded to a 220/240v outlet for her clothes dryer. I've had previous tenants use a dryer with no reported issues. What is your experience with this? Is this something you would request the tenant pay for considering it is not a safety issue/needs to be repaired? I have been looking for a step up voltage converter as an alternative option, but that doesn't seem realistic for an appliance. 

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
6y
Any decent dryer is 220VAC. You should upgrade this. 110VAC is not normal for a dryer.
Just have an electrician add a breaker and run a new line for the dryer with the appropriate outlet.

Consider this as a necessary investment/upgrade to your property.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Any decent dryer is 220VAC. You should upgrade this. 110VAC is not normal for a dryer.
    Just have an electrician add a breaker and run a new line for the dryer with the appropriate outlet.

    Consider this as a necessary investment/upgrade to your property.
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Standard dryers need a 220 V outlet.  If this is the tenant's dryer and they plan to take it with them when they leave, chances are the next one will also need a 220 V outlet.  Why not offer to split the cost with them and you hire the electrician to make sure it is done to code?  Of course this depends on where the electrical panel is and how much of a pain it will be to do this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If someone was running a dryer with a 120 volt outlet it was probably gas/propane. Does the house have a gas line for a dryer? If so, and they want to switch to an electric dryer, this would be an "unnecessary" change and they should foot part of the bill or they can just get a gas dryer. If there was a hookup for an electric dryer and it was only 120 volt, I'm not sure what the expectations would be for that as electric dryers typical use a 240v 30 amp circuit. There is a special outlet and it will require a 10-3 gauge wire to be run from the box. If you're going to install this, make sure they use the 4 prong box. Many older dryers have a 3 prong plug but the wire can be changed to a 4. ie, adapt the dryer to the box, not the other way around.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If an electric dryer was used previously, it's possible that the box is 3 prong and they have a 4 prong dryer cord. So it may be a 240 outlet but they think it isn't because it's "smaller" than what they have. Have them take a picture of the outlet.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I now provide gas and electric hook-ups for dryers. I've had good applicants turn away because they can't hook up the particular dryer they own. It's a pretty small investment for a good return IMO - the improvement will be once and done.

    The other poster mentioned it might be a 3 prong / 4 prong issue. A new dryer cord is $13 bucks. Takes a bit of know-how to convert, I do it for my tenants as a courtesy (I also vent the dryer for them too).

  • Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the feedback everyone.  @John Teachout I do currently have a gas hook up which is likely what the previous tenants were using.  With the prevalence of electric dryers I do think it's a good idea to upgrade the outlet so this isn't an issue with both current and future tenants. I've only received a single bid so far at $550 and am still waiting for a couple other quotes to come back.  At this point I just need to decide if I foot the cost on my own or see if the tenant will split it like John and @Theresa Harris mentioned. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If i were the tenant I would just get a gas dryer used for about $150. If the set up is for gas as you stated, this is not your problem. You can inform the tenant that they should get a gas dryer. Is the range gas or electric? Water heater? Furnace?

    We convert our properties to all electric if it's feasible as tenants appreciate having one less utility bill. In your more northern clime though, gas heat is probably more efficient than electric heat pumps which are common around here.

    If the tenant really really wants an electric dryer, I'd offer to split the cost with them. Otherwise, not your problem.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    6y

    @Scott Passman is 100 percent take johns advice. I don’t see how you would split it with the tenant. It’s not like adding a water softener or a reverse osmosis machine. It’s a pretty standard need be install. Get it done and you won’t have problems turning over the property or with your next tenant when they find out it’s 110

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    The reason for the cost split would be that the house is set up for a dryer already. A gas dryer. If the tenant doesn't want to use a gas dryer, that's not the landlord's fault. Why should he pay for this request any more than he would pay for an alarm system to be installed. It's a tenant preference, not a property defect.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Teachout:

    If an electric dryer was used previously, it's possible that the box is 3 prong and they have a 4 prong dryer cord. So it may be a 240 outlet but they think it isn't because it's "smaller" than what they have. Have them take a picture of the outlet.

    I agree - this is a VERY likely scenario.... 

  • Clint ShelleyPro Member
    Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
    6y

    550 to put in a 220 outlet seems high, but I don't know what kind of run they have to pull, not to mention permits and possibly union scale pricing. I would foot the bill unless electric is an oddity in your area.

    Clint

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 122 votes
    6y

    I would keep shopping and look for around $300.  I've had luck posting what I want done on Thumbtack with a dollar limit.  I'm sure someone will pick it up between bigger jobs since this is an easy install.

  • Contractor · Hudsonville, MI · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    You more than likely have a gas dryer hookup currently. To switch to electric you are looking at a new 30 Amp dedicated circuit. Typically not to involved. Depending on the situation I usually charge around $300. Have to decide if that’s worth it for you.

  • Sean McKennaPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Goffstown, NH · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    @Scott Passman I do not like the idea of a tenant connecting there own gas dryer.

    I have always removed the gas line and installed an electric line.

    In NH the gas laws are very strict. You need to have a gas license to connect, disconnect and service any gas appliance.

    Then you also have to deal with what type of gas is the dryer set up for. Natural or LP gas and who is going to pay for the conversion.

    Gas dryers are a headache and sketchy for a rental. Just pay the 550 and count it as capex.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.