Investment re-sale - install carpet runner or no?

Investment re-sale - install carpet runner or no?

Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 2 votes

Hello - I am considering a carpet runner for my investment property as part of selling strategy. I read that buyers nowadays hate carpet (whether investor or other), and while I am set on putting carpet on the 2nd floor, I am 50%/50% on carpet runner.

My contractor recommended a carpet runner. They were concerned that trying to buff out the dirt from years of use and refinishing it will be more costly. They suggested a carpet runner would be an easy way to cover it up.


Dilemma I am facing is that the 3rd floor carpet will not be changed (good condition thus far), but the 2nd floor has to be replaced entirely (used a lot more). If I put a carpet runner from the 1st floor all the way up to the 3rd floor, will this deter potential buyers since the colors may be *slightly* off? Should I just forgo carpet runner altogether?


3rd floor - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZjzmDuyGJXwcxcRF8


Stairway from 2nd to 3rd floor -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FkFKySLjwr2qYUWAA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T6ZM5J69fa2w6PPh9


Stairway from 1st to 2nd floor -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BzCx24GAjyQNBvAB7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/696YDFRr9v4vyEMz7


New carpet to replace 2nd floor - https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...7110/300825291

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Thorold, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    I'd say carpet runner for sure! 
    3rd Floor = Existing Carpet
    2nd Floor = New carpet

    Therefore stairs should be new carpet colour. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    I am 50/50 on the need for a runner. Yes, it will add some protection but it will also add some cost and that cost is probably similar to what it would cost to repair future damage. I don't know that you're actually saving much.

    If I did a runner, I would make it all match the 2nd floor carpet.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.