Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Alex Abanto
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Any Dishwashers brands you recommend? HD or Lowes sub $400

Alex Abanto
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Posted Aug 15 2019, 13:56

Have to replcae the original in my rental..any dishwashers you like for $400 or less that havent given you any issues...any ones i should stay away from..hoping it to last a while once replaced

User Stats

Votes
Josh Bakhshi
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 18 2019, 20:24

Look at the reviews on their web sites.  They are usually pretty good.  Also, call your credit card company and ask if they automatically double the warranty at no cost?  I know my Chase Saphire card does that

User Stats

Votes
Mike Franco
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 18 2019, 21:44

whirlpool. Use a 10% Lowes coupon off ebay.

whirlpool has the highest user rating

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
Jill F.#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Aug 18 2019, 22:05
Consumer Reports rated dishwashers in Feb, 11 of the top 13 were Bosch

User Stats

Votes
Josh C.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 18 2019, 22:23

I don’t buy GE or Frigidaire appliances due to multiple failures over the years. Whirlpool are cheaper and seem to at least not break. I buy close to 100 brand new appliances each year and another 100 used ones. Dishwashers and washing machines are the highest failure rate. Stoves are always good and no moving parts so brand matters less there I think. Kitchen Aide makes great stuff, but it’s hard to justify their cost in rentals. It’s usually true you get what you pay for.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Franco
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 19 2019, 04:45

you're not getting a bosch for under 400

last i checked, whirlpool kitchen aid, same company

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Red Bank, NJ
Votes |
  • Red Bank, NJ
Replied Aug 19 2019, 04:58

During renovations I have bought the Samsung kitchen suites that go on sale, usually in November. I have been happy with theirs.

The one problem we had with a new install- it just shut down completely when it detected a leak, which is exactly what we want. I just pulled it and exchanged it.

My 1st 2 were frigidaires and we have not had any issues, but they lack the finish of the Samsung’s.

We have a Bosch at home... no way would I put that in a rental.

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Aug 19 2019, 05:13

We have about 20 out in SFR/Multi units & always preferred Bosch. Recently we went with a high end Samsung (very noisy) & the pump just died in the 2nd year. Same as their fridges one had 3 new boards (under warranty) before we gave up & sold it. We only buy LG's now. Our appliance guy hates Samsungs & will not work on Bosch appliances, in fact only one local company will ($$$). So far none of our Bosch appliances have ever had issues. The Whirlpool & GE appliances that we inherited from various properties have all been throw aways after a couple of years.

The last two new $900+ Bosch dishwashers I got from Lowes were $230 scratch & dent (pushed it out on the one side) & the one in our Lakehouse for $200 because the hinges were broken (display model), I replaced the hinges, $15 on-line. Also decided last year to try a high end LG dishwasher that I got for $275 (rear panel scratch & dent) & so far it's been great but much louder than the Bosch. It did replace a 10yr old Bosch that was old & tired looking plus the grandkids just kept pushing all the buttons so I got tired of doing resets. I believe it's still running in a fellow investors rental.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied Aug 19 2019, 05:42

@Alex Abanto Whirlpool or Fridigaire are good brands from experience. You can get them from Lowes or HD for sub $400 epsecially since 1 of or both of those stores will likely have a Labor Day sale coming up.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Abanto
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Aug 19 2019, 09:07

Thanks leaning towards a Whirlpool price matched to Lowes (lower price) to get a additional 10% off. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Abanto
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Aug 19 2019, 09:09
Originally posted by @Josh Bakhshi:

Look at the reviews on their web sites.  They are usually pretty good.  Also, call your credit card company and ask if they automatically double the warranty at no cost?  I know my Chase Saphire card does that

Didnt think of this thanks regarding the credit card company

User Stats

Votes
Alex Abanto
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Aug 19 2019, 09:10
Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

@Alex Abanto Whirlpool or Fridigaire are good brands from experience. You can get them from Lowes or HD for sub $400 epsecially since 1 of or both of those stores will likely have a Labor Day sale coming up.

Thanks for your reply

User Stats

Votes
Ola Dantis
Pro Member
  • Multifamily Syndicator
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily Syndicator
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 19 2019, 13:33

Alex, we usually get Whirpool for our projects. 

Though this is a little above your $400 budget, I really like it.

Check it out

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Aug 19 2019, 14:59

@Alex Abanto dishwashers have really gone down in quality and cheap ones may last 7-10 years. Years ago you could get 20-30 years out of a dishwasher. I would strongly discourage you from buying the cheapest dishwasher you can find. I have had those go out in as little as 5 years! I get Whirlpool and usually a couple levels up from the cheapest, which costs around $400. It can cost $150-200 to install a dishwasher, so you want to put something decent in. 

User Stats

Votes
William Alexander
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Aug 19 2019, 15:41

@Alex Abanto

I like them around $30 from habitat or craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Romine
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Replied Aug 19 2019, 16:04

@Alex Abanto

I’ve had more problems with dishwashers due to a bad installer than the actual unit going bad. Correct installation is my biggest concern.

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Aug 19 2019, 19:11

@Alex Abanto

I use the entry model Bosch always. Quiet as a mouse peeing on a cloud.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Bell
  • Real Estate Appraiser
  • Isabella lake, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Appraiser
  • Isabella lake, CA
Replied Aug 19 2019, 19:23

We have a Whirlpool at home. An architect friend told me the biggest difference with the higher cost units was less noise. No problems for 7 years with our $500 unit. If they die, they are super easy to replace. Just screwdrivers and a wrench or 2 needed. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Godbout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Aug 19 2019, 19:55

@Alex Abanto

For rentals, I always use the cheapest, full size stainless dishwasher they have.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 20 2019, 07:04

@Alex Abanto I have to speak up for the little guy here!! I work at a small family business and we are less than the big box stores most of the time and we offer free delivery. I would encourage people to look into small local businesses to build a better relationship! We sell a ton of whirlpool and amana to rentals and flips. Whirlpool is the best bang for your buck I think. But if you develop a relationship with a small local business, you can just call and say “hey I need another dishwasher for “x” address.” And they can get it to you right away! They already know what you want! The big box stores don’t give you the same service. End of rant!

User Stats

Votes
Alex Abanto
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Aug 20 2019, 07:20
Originally posted by @Tyler Hampton:

@Alex Abanto I have to speak up for the little guy here!! I work at a small family business and we are less than the big box stores most of the time and we offer free delivery. I would encourage people to look into small local businesses to build a better relationship! We sell a ton of whirlpool and amana to rentals and flips. Whirlpool is the best bang for your buck I think. But if you develop a relationship with a small local business, you can just call and say “hey I need another dishwasher for “x” address.” And they can get it to you right away! They already know what you want! The big box stores don’t give you the same service. End of rant!

appreciate your post. ill defintaley look into it 

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Aug 20 2019, 07:34

I have used almost all Frigidaires in my rentals. *However* - they have become much cheaper in construction the last 2 or 3 years. I can look at some of the old ones pulled and saved for parts (usually the timers, pumps or control valves go bad) and see how many metal parts are now plastic parts today. Last one I put in a couple months ago was an entry level GE and it was actually pretty good quality for an entry price dishwasher. 

All of the low end ones will be loud because they have no insulation blanket. I usually make my own blanket for the cheap ones if I have some insulation left over at a job site. Get a drum liner sized trash bag, put one strip of 24" fiberglass insulation inside the bag, tape the bag shut, then drape it over the dishwasher and tape it to the sides. Works just as well as one you can buy and reuses leftover material (reduce/reuse/then recycle). 

User Stats

Votes
Edgar Martinez
  • Architect
  • Orange County, NY
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Orange County, NY
Replied Sep 18 2019, 07:09

Love all these answers!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Mosee
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Eagle Point, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Eagle Point, OR
Replied Sep 18 2019, 07:26

Always recommend getting one with soft food disposal.  Have sold appliances for 50 years & now days you're doing good if they last the depreciation schedule. Whirlpool  , while good, has manual clean filter.  How many of your renters will clean it?   Have gone GE last several with decent results.  FYI,  I tell my property management if out of manufacture warranty  to automatically replace as cost of service usually not cost efficient 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Godbout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Sep 30 2019, 10:46

I always just buy the least expensive stainless models I can find (new). I have rarely had to have one fixed or replaced over the past 10 years.

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 28 2020, 14:43

@Josh Bakhshi

That's great to know about the Chase Sapphire with the double warranty. Thanks for the information.