Need some advice on Property Taxes and Mill Rates

Need some advice on Property Taxes and Mill Rates

Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone, 

I seem to have a problem that I didn't take into account when running my numbers on a rental property I just bought. I ran the numbers with the Trulia estimated property taxes for my area. It cash flowed will with those numbers but now after looking up the Millage for the area my property is in and I almost had a heart attack.. 

So, my first reaction was to figure out exactly what "total Millage" was. Millage Rate is amount per 1000$ of property value used to calculate local property taxes. Now knowing what a millage rate is I looked up what my properties millage rate was. It turns out its rate is 65.2! Dividing 65.2 by 1000 gives you 0.0652. Now you have to multiply that number by your property value, 115000, which gives you your annual property taxes for that area. That brings it to 7498 in property taxes per year or 625 per month. 

Now the rents in this area on average are at 1100-1200 per month. So now knowing this, it pretty much kills the property and now negatively cashflows. My question to everyone here is, should I sell this property off and focus on a different area? This was going to be a BRRRR but I have yet to finance it so I have 100% equity in the property as of now.

Let me hear what everyone thinks! 

Thank you, Shayne

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

@Shayne Whittington is the property value you are using "market value" or "assessed value"? They can be wildly different numbers.

Go on the cou ty website and you should be able to see what the taxes actually were 8n previous years

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Shayne Whittington is the property value you are using "market value" or "assessed value"? They can be wildly different numbers.

    Go on the cou ty website and you should be able to see what the taxes actually were 8n previous years

  • Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:

    @Shayne Whittington is the property value you are using "market value" or "assessed value"? They can be wildly different numbers.

    Go on the cou ty website and you should be able to see what the taxes actually were 8n previous years

     Its assessed, Bought it for 47K and rehab is 40k. haven't had it appraised yet but my realtor said it'll appraise from 115k-120k so I just used 115k because thats what it'll likely be appraised at when I finance it to get the cash out. 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Shayne Whittington that's market value... the county assess a value for taxing purposes that is usually very different than the market value.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 88 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    That seems incredibly high for a property of this value. Isn’t there a county/city website that posts yearly tax amounts on each property?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.