Do you take care of “ costmetics “ for your tenants?

Do you take care of “ costmetics “ for your tenants?

Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes

- In your Lease, do you have a section discussing tenants responsibilities?

- Do you Paint and clean while the tenant lives there?

- the prospective tenant stated she would like for us to paint it, before she moves in.. the house was recently painted but it does have some minor wear, as any house would with the paint. I didn’t really know what to say, I agreed to paint 3 bedrooms over again...

What would you do? Thanks for the help again guys.

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

Agree to nothing . Tell the tenants it is what it is . I have it listed right in my lease that by signing it  they agree to the present condition of the unit . I would not be taking requests . If I did anything it would only be done to add value to the house or in an effort to get higher rent income 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Agree to nothing . Tell the tenants it is what it is . I have it listed right in my lease that by signing it  they agree to the present condition of the unit . I would not be taking requests . If I did anything it would only be done to add value to the house or in an effort to get higher rent income 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    If you are happy with the condition and do not want to touch up a little tell her no and hope she moves along. Sounds like she may be a millennial snowflake you will be better off without as a tenant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S.

    Tenants are so grimy man. It’s so hard to find a solid one

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    So hard finding a good tenant in the hood

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cameron Riley:

    @Dennis M.

    So hard finding a good tenant in the hood

     Well They are out there . Use Facebook marketplace . Atleast That way you’d know they are atleast smart enough to type or use the internet 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    How many do ya own Dennis?

    Can we also continue this conversation in the message chat? We think alike hahah. Want to pick your mind some more

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    yes to tenant responsibilities in lease.    Also, no way in hell would I clean and paint while a tenant is in residence.   If this chick really wants to paint you can allow her to paint or pay for a gallon of paint or just tell her it's off the table as advised above.    Definitely don't do it out of your pocket.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    That depends. You need your tenants feel comfortable so they wills stay. In our area often it is brand new kitchen, hardwood flooring, and newer bath.  One time the tenants still want a new color painting on freshly new painted walls they were pointed to the front door to exit.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Sam Shueh

    Landlords break their backs most of the time ). It’s sad

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    "Landlords break their backs most of the time ). It’s sad"

    Your right but in many situations it is not necessary.You do not ever want to break your back bending over trying to kiss a tenants a**. Too many landlords allow their tenants to walk all over them out of fear.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gothenburg, NE · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 111 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    Facebook is great. I know within 5 minutes from looking at profile rather or not I want them in my lives!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Jerrad Shepherd

    Omg this is so discriminatory! Your terrible!

    Lol, just kidding. This is GENIUS and I love this idea.

    However, people on BP will say it’s totally discriminatory, but you are fully allowed to select a tenant you feel is best qualified... alcoholics and drug dealers are usually something I feel as “ unqualified people “ haha.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S.

    So dang true.

    My last two threads I’ve been scolded on my process. Lol

    I just want a good tenant man.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    7y

    Once the tenant proves to be a stable and reliable one, 

    I’d paint 

    but include the cost of it in the next 

    lease increase .

  • Rental Property Investor · south Alabama · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    About the only thing I do while the tenant is living there is to pressure wash the exterior once a year. Honestly I do that more for me than for the tenant.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cameron Riley:

    - the prospective tenant stated she would like for us to paint it, before she moves in.. the house was recently painted but it does have some minor wear, as any house would with the paint. I didn’t really know what to say, I agreed to paint 3 bedrooms over again...

    What would you do? Thanks for the help again guys.

     Right there is your red flag. You're better off with vacancies rather than demanding Tenant, especially in the hood.

    If it's cheap rental, you might get tons of prospects: just do your marketing better and you won't know what to do with all of them.

    When this lady walk away, touch up your paint, make it look sexy, so you'd like to live there yourself.....but not on Tenants demand!

    If you don't train your tenant from the first meeting, you'll regret later....big time

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Irina Belkofer

    Exactly, I think setting the tone is so damn important

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    @Cameron Riley I think this is a hard question to answer. You need to decide your own standards and stick with them. Personally, touching up the paint, at a minimum, is an expense I’ll incur at turnover so that prospective tenants see very clearly that I care about the property. I think that attracts better tenants. But others have a different calculation and there’s nothing wrong with that—you can make money both ways. If you’re cool with the paint, find a tenant that’s cool with the paint. There are plenty of people who will pay rent on time even if there’s old paint. The tenant that’s not cool with the paint will go find a place to rent that has fresh paint. But if you’ve already set your standard, don’t flail around, because that’s bad business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Mike Lauer

    Be firm in my answer?

    Is that what you mean by no flailing ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 118 votes
    7y

    @Irina Belkofer

    I have about 8 cheap rentals! Lol! Yes!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.