Disabled tenant causing damages that require repair

Disabled tenant causing damages that require repair

Investor · St. Simons Island GA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 13 votes

I have a tenant that is a very large man and disabled. He requires use of a walker and cannot support himself without holding onto something or use of the walker. When he first moved in I allowed him to install grab bars on both sides of the toilet, in three places in the shower and on both sides of the bathroom sink, so he could ensure that he is able to safely get up/down and move around.  When he first moved in, both toilets came lose from the floor and required repair (within two weeks of him moving in). There were no issues with the toilet at inspection prior to move in. I footed the bill and repaired it with no questions/concerns. He then pulled one of the shower handles partially off the shower wall and I repaired that at my cost with no question. I also noticed that he's banged up the cabinets and door frames badly with his walker, but I haven't commented on that.Today he emailed me and said the sink is coming out of the wall and the shower handle is pulling out of the wall again. I have witnessed him pulling on things in an effort to move around and not using the grab bars that were installed for this purpose. He also falls on to the toilet rather than easing onto it. I only know this because he sat down on it when I was there looking at the shower few weeks ago (not to use it, just to sit there while I inspected the bathroom).The only reason I can imagine the sink is pulling out of the wall is from him pulling on it or using it as leverage when moving around the bathroom. He is a very nice guy and always pays on time, but these types of repairs are adding up and there have been multiple in the three months he has lived there. Any suggestions on how to approach the topic with him and how to handle it? I want to be sensitive to his situation but he has the appropriate amount of grab bars and I can't continue footing the bill for something he appears to be directly causing. Thanks! 

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

I would suggest just talking to him,  Be open and compassionate. Ask if he can help defray some of the costs to install more longterm solutions.   I am sure he is unhappy that he is damaging things?   

You might also contact a local organization that deals with folks with mobility issues and see what the best solutions might be (sink that is in a vanity that maybe has supports below etc??)

A lot of folks are going to tell you to evict him asap or to raise his rent etc etc.    just ignore them and be open to finding a workable solution. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I would suggest just talking to him,  Be open and compassionate. Ask if he can help defray some of the costs to install more longterm solutions.   I am sure he is unhappy that he is damaging things?   

    You might also contact a local organization that deals with folks with mobility issues and see what the best solutions might be (sink that is in a vanity that maybe has supports below etc??)

    A lot of folks are going to tell you to evict him asap or to raise his rent etc etc.    just ignore them and be open to finding a workable solution. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    @Aundrea Newbern When is his lease being renewed ?id find a way to get rid of him before he destroys the place .sitting down and having a heartfelt discussion over tea and crumpets isn’t going to change the mans habits or his debilitating condition . I’d not renew his lease and let him know he’s going to be on the hook for repairs . Why deal with this nonsense when there’s good tenants who aren’t 400 pounds and don’t destroy the place . Let some hobby landlord down the street deal with him
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    7y

    I'm with @Mary M. on this one. Just explain that he is causing the damage and he will have to pay for it. Use the move in checklist as evidence of everything being satisfactory. Also, be extra vigilant about the bathtub especially if it is on the a 2nd floor. Large people will crack fiberglass tubs. Steel/ceramic tubs won't break but they will crack the drain piping. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    I would probably be looking to get rid of him as well but the alternate is that you let him know that from this point forward he will be responsible for all repairs.

    You have already payed for numerous repairs that should have been his responsibility. Do quarterly inspections, contract out all repair work and bill him for the cost. Give him the number of a local handy man that you trust and have your tenant call him to do repairs. This situation is not new to him, he has most likely done considerable damage to other properties in the past.

    It is all tenant caused damage and as such he is responsible for the cost of repairs.

    You need to stop being "sensitive" to his situation and operate as a business. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Just because someone is disabled doesn't alleviate their responsibility to care for the property.

    Send him written notice that he is causing damage and you will no longer repair out of pocket. Give him the phone numbers of a couple contractors and tell him he is responsible for making the repairs.

    I also recommend you inspect regularly to see that he's repairing the damage. You shouldn't let it build up until he moves out because there will be so much damage that the deposit won't cover it.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.