Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Blake Edwards
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brentwood, CA
Votes |
How do you keep track of your utility bills?

Blake Edwards
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brentwood, CA
Posted Oct 25 2018, 19:53
Those of you who self manage multiple properties, do you use a simple spreadsheet to keep track of all the utility bills? Or Quickbooks, or something else?

User Stats

Votes
Johann Jells
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Oct 25 2018, 20:47

All on autopay via the utility website, transactions downloaded and categorized in Quicken, like all my expenses.

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Meikle
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 29 2018, 19:57

Depends on your needs @Blake Edwards. Spreadsheets work for a while but have the downside of being rather time consuming and error prone. If you want to go this route I recommend using Airtable expense tracking template. Quickbooks is another reasonable option, you can do everything you'll need, but sometimes it's not very straightforward and since it's not built for real estate, you may need to pay an accountant to help you get set up. If you want a platform built for real estate investors to track their utilities, Kitt is a good option to try (I'm biased). You get the benefits of an audit trail and financial reports without all the extra stuff you don't need in quickbooks. As @Johann Jells mentioned, Quicken is also a nice option, quite simple and straight forward although it loses some of the important features of an accounting system, I have heard good things from investors that use it successfully. Hope this helps.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!
Account Closed
  • Retired Landlord/Author
  • Commerce Township, MI
Votes |
  • Commerce Township, MI
Replied Oct 30 2018, 03:56

My tenants always paid their own utilities.  Lights and Gas would have to be put in their names and verified on or before the signing of the lease.  If the lights and gas were not transferred into their names on the day we signed the lease (and I would call the utility companies to verify if they did this or not) then I didn't rent to them.  PERIOD ! They paid their own water bills as well and I would verify that the same way too.    However, the water bill would come to me and then I would bill my tenants for the water bill. 

FOOT NOTE:

If my tenants rented one of our apartments, then we, as the landlords, paid the water bill. They paid their own lights and gas and the same scenario I posted above would pertain to them as well regarding their lights and gas.

For the tenants who had to pay the water bill, which we as landlords paid for ourselves, on behalf of the tenants, (and of course this would be stipulated in the Lease Agreement that they would be responsible for the lights, gas, and water bills) we would then turn around and bill the tenant for the water bill by typing up an Invoice out of QuickBooks and sending the tenant the a bill for the Water and also sending them a copy of the water bill sent to us from the Water Company to prove we weren't trying to charge them for more usage than what they used.  

QuickBooks is a great program for landlords because it allows us to pay a Vendor for a bill that belongs to a tenant, by writing a check to the Vendor, in this case the Water Company, and then selecting the Tenants name from the Customer:Job column on the check.  This generates a bill to the tenant in QuickBooks for this bill, and all we have to do is print out the Invoice that QuickBooks generated and send it to the Tenant with a copy of the bill the water department sent to us.  This proves to the tenant that this is the actual amount we had to pay for their usage of water for that month.  

If you, the landlord,  pay the lights and gas on behalf of your tenants, but you have it stipulated in your Lease Agreement they they, the tenants, are responsible for ALL UTILITIES, lights and gas and water,  then you would do it the same way as you did water bill.   You write a check to the Vendor and then choose the tenants name from the Customer:Job Column on the check and then when you click on the Tenants name, QuickBooks will generate that bill for you and all you have to do is print it out.

It just doesn't get any better than that, which proves just how POWERFUL QUICKBOOKS  really is.  It truly is a landlords BEST FRIEND !

Nancy Neville

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 30 2018, 06:17

I use property management software that tracks things for me. I think too many small-time investors spend too much time and money trying to act bigger than they are. If you have fewer than 20 units, I think spreadsheets are sufficient for tracking everything.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Oct 30 2018, 06:19

Excel. And I pay everything on Autopay. I only pay utility bills between tenants - and I'm old fashioned this way, but I have paper bills sent to my box so I can put them in the tax receipt files. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Red Bank, NJ
Votes |
  • Red Bank, NJ
Replied Oct 30 2018, 06:20

I am with @Johann Jells. My utilities make it very easy for me and I simply plug them into my spread sheet afterwards.

User Stats

Votes
Gita Faust
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Replied Oct 31 2018, 13:52

When using QuickBooks or other software: memorize the bill, check or credit card transactions. 

Then all you have to do is click on the transaction change the date and amount to make property accounting a breeze.

Immaterial if you making one single payment for multiple properties or multiple payments.

Gita Faust

User Stats

Votes
Theo Hicks
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 1 2018, 11:34

I set up autopay for all utilities (water, electric, gas). I created a custom Excel spreadsheet to track all of my expenses.

Something else to consider is setting up an automatic utility transfer for when tenants move out rather than manually calling in and putting the utilities back in your name. Reach out to the utility company or go to their website to see if they offer such a service. 

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Shearer
  • Elizabethtown, PA
Votes |
  • Elizabethtown, PA
Replied Jan 5 2019, 08:25

@Account Closed - I am just setting up quickbooks and did exactly what you said above about the Water (I pay sewer, trash and invoice my tenants). I opened the vendor and wrote a check, listed the trash and sewer separately at the bottom, put the tenant name in the customer field and put the unit in the class field. When I went to the customer center, nothing shows up under a bill they owe or an invoice for the amount. How do I find the customer invoices to print out and mail to them? 

Account Closed
  • Commerce Township, MI
Votes |
  • Commerce Township, MI
Replied Jan 5 2019, 08:58

Make sure you turn on Time Tracking in your Preference Section

So you are in your Vendor Center:  Make sure that little bill box is checked. 

Click Save and Close 

Go to your Customer center and choose your tenant (Name) do a Ctrl + I  (for Invoice) and this window should appear.

Click on the Expenses Tab

To put a check mark next to the bill you want to send your tenant press the space bar on your keyboard and click on save and close.

And now the bill appears for your tenant.  DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THIS FORM.  jUST print it out and then click on save and close. 

You can slip the $60.00 for this tutorial under my door the next time you come to Michigan.  :)

Of course you know I'm kidding.

Nancy Neville

Account Closed
  • Commerce Township, MI
Votes |
  • Commerce Township, MI
Replied Jan 5 2019, 09:01

Double posted.  So I erased it.  

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Shearer
  • Elizabethtown, PA
Votes |
  • Elizabethtown, PA
Replied Jan 5 2019, 18:41

@Account Closed It worked! Thank you very much. Just searched the book again and realized I missed the time tracking step. Thank you again!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.