$32 for 5 gallons -Have you used Lowes white maintenance paint?

$32 for 5 gallons -Have you used Lowes white maintenance paint?

Youngsville, LA · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 10 votes

I'm thinking of using this paint. It's called Property Advantage Flat Maintenance 5g I/E White Latex Paint.  It's less than $40 for 5 gallons.

It's a flat / latex. The interior is white. I'm repainting it the same color. 

The lowes reviews say it's "good for rentals" .

Have you used it?

0Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Goleta, CA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 92 votes
7y
I only use Sherwin Williams( now)...I was using Behr and sorry but it sucks. SW has much better coverage and is self leveling and I opened a biz account and get 40% off the paint at the SW store.
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Youngsville, LA · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 10 votes
    7y
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I only use Behr or Sherwin William's paint.

  • Real Estate Agent · Goleta, CA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 92 votes
    7y
    I only use Sherwin Williams( now)...I was using Behr and sorry but it sucks. SW has much better coverage and is self leveling and I opened a biz account and get 40% off the paint at the SW store.
  • Madisonville, LA · Member since 2018 · 125 posts · 71 votes
    7y
    @Rema W. Using cheap paint usually results in poor coverage and more costs. Also is less durable. I like the behr super paint or sherwin William's. Also dont like flat for walls, it's terrible to clean
  • Madisonville, LA · Member since 2018 · 125 posts · 71 votes
    7y
    @David Hallner Spellcheck got me, meant to say coats, not cost. Basically cheap paint winds up costing a lot more time due to poor coverage and more coats
  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 305 votes
    7y

    @David H.

    It is very expensive to use cheap paint

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Rema W. It works great, I've been using it for years.
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Rema W. You can even take it one step further... Home depot has maintenance paint here in Florida for like $28 a 5 gallon but it is flat white so I buy one quart of high gloss white for like $7, dump it in and mix it all together and when I paint it looks like semigloss and performs well...and I am all in for $35 for 5 gallons.
  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    7y

    I love that particular paint - for ceilings. It's a good, flat white but I wouldn't use it for walls. Walls and trim get Sherwin Williams satin and semi gloss in my houses.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    @Rema W. Personally, I think Lowe’s and Home Depot brands are good for ceiling paints and primers. I use Benjamin Moore for everything else, it’s more expensive but makes a world of a diff. And covers imperfections better.
  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain Top, PA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    @Rema W. I personally like Glidden paint if you buy from HD. It is cheaper than Behr and covers really well. A lot of times there are discounts when purchasing large amounts too.
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I suggest glossy light colored paint even in living area. Wipe off the finger prints when tenants leave. Easy to maintain.


  • Rental Property Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    The only paint worse than Behr (their paint/primer combo isn’t as bad as their regular paint) is Glidden IMO. They’re like water when you brush them on. I vote for Sherwin Williams as well, even if it’s the Lowe’s version. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    yes. we use this paint in our flips. small linen /coat closets, garage walls and ceilings.  people love how "clean" it makes the garages look. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    good for ceilings

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Rema W. I am a property owner/investor, and contractor. I am strictly a Sherwin Williams user. Best bang for your buck is Sherwin Williams Property Solutions line. The flat is great for ceilings, eg-shell for walls, and I use a better SuperPaint for trim/doors. The flat should run you about $75/5 gals. Cheap paint brings more labor.
  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 20 votes
    7y
    Does anyone find that oil based white paints hold up better? I’ve always used Sherwin Williams latex whites but man they get dirty easy. Was curious if oil based resisted dirt better?
  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    Looks like it would be good to whitebox a vacant REO to protect from rain, and so it does not look so crappy. i have seen lathe whiteboxed where plaster was missing. cheap short term fix.

  • Rental Property Investor · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    Sherwin Williams. Sikkens on the decks and porches.

    Save a little now or save a lot latter.

  • Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 110 votes
    7y

    I don't like cheap paint on my rentals, but I do keep an eye out at Lowes for their "oops" paint - 5 gallons for $25.  If it's a light pastel, it's great to keep for rentals when needed and I just take the paint back to shake it when I am ready to use it.  Single $5 gallons of "oops" are great for accent walls or small bathrooms.  I used to use Behr, but Home Depot changed their paint discount policy a couple of years ago so now I mainly go to Lowes.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    For the paint snobs - this paint is *made by* Sherwin Williams

    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Property-Advantage-Flat-M...

  • Real Estate Agent · Montgomery Village, MD · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Fries:
    @Rema W. You can even take it one step further... Home depot has maintenance paint here in Florida for like $28 a 5 gallon but it is flat white so I buy one quart of high gloss white for like $7, dump it in and mix it all together and when I paint it looks like semigloss and performs well...and I am all in for $35 for 5 gallons.

    That sounds like something I gotta try. Thanks for the tip! 

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    For everyone thats like they dont use cheap paint or replying in a tone that reads this paint is made by some cheap D rated company....

    Its made by Sherwin Williams!.. Just so you know

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.