Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
A W
Votes |
Flat Rate MLS (list on MLS by youself) for rental?

A W
Posted Mar 27 2011, 10:06

Hi,

We want to rent our house in Ballantyne area.. To gain more exposure, we want to list the rental on MLS. I searched online, it seems that I can do Flat Rate MLS listing, like this one:
http://www.carolinarentalexpress.com/goflatrate.htm
I understand they would charge a flat fee of $95 to do the listing for me and I would not need to pay any other commissions.

Could anyone share his/her experiences on this?

Thank you!

BTW I heard that I will need to pay the tenant's agent's commission which is normally 10 or 20% of the 1st month rent? Will I be the one who determines the percentage?

User Stats

Votes
Robert Granara
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Reading, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Reading, MA
Replied Mar 27 2011, 12:16

I've listed entry only listings many times...I sell all my houses this way...I have also listed a few of my rentals this way but have had better success on craigslist and the newspapers...

User Stats

Votes
A W
Votes |
Replied Mar 27 2011, 12:24
Originally posted by B G:
I've listed entry only listings many times...I sell all my houses this way...I have also listed a few of my rentals this way but have had better success on craigslist and the newspapers...

Which online service did you use to list your rental on MLS? how much commission do you normally give tenant's agency?

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 27 2011, 22:24

If you ask for $1500 rent, I doubt any agent will want to waste their time for possible $150. 50% of 1 month rent is more realistic.

User Stats

Votes
Angie Menegay
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Irving, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Irving, TX
Replied Mar 29 2011, 07:43

Hi,
You're the one who will determine how much to pay the tenant's agent. When you sign up for the flat MLS listing service, they should send you a standard state form with a load of questions, one of which should be how much you want to pay the other party's agent.
And I agree with George - 35%-50% of first month's rent is typical. Otherwise, no agents would want to spend time showing your property.
Angie