Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Renee R.
  • Sandown, NH
Votes |
Bought a property with a fire pit

Renee R.
  • Sandown, NH
Posted

in March, I bought a property with a fire pit. It's far enough from the property and well-built. The current tenants are responsible, but that, of course, may not always be the case. There are four units across two buildings with the pit between them. The city has regulations about 'camp fire' permits and requirements on what can/cannot be burned and fines for those who violate the regulations. I'm looking to protect myself, whether that be an addendum to the leases, or rental insurance. I plan to contact my insurance company as well. These are long-time tenants (11 yrs) who pay $1,800/mo rent (plus utilities) and I'd like to keep them in place at least for the next year. I know the knee-jerk reaction would be get rid of it. I'm looking for all ideas to think this through. All ideas/thoughts welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Joe M.
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied

Is a firepit a deal breaker for the long time tenants?  What are the others like?

Id probably get rid of it.  I dont see the benefit to you

User Stats

Votes
Shaun C.
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

I err on the side of common sense. I understand the desire to nix it; but I'm also young and live in Michigan, so on a cold summer night, or come October/November, we like to have friends over around a fire. I assume the people that rent from me like to do the same since they're a similar demographic.

If you got sued, is a jury REALLY going to say you were at fault if you had the permit and a conforming bonfire pit? If the tenant or one of their friends got wasted and fell in...that's on them. I find it hard to believe a jury wouldn't see that too.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Make your decision at this time based on your risk tolerance. If you are uncomfortable with the risk of a fire pit tell them your insurance company needs it removed. Having someone else to shift the responsibility to is how most landlords will choose to operate their business when dealing with tenants.  If you decide you do not want to deal with a tenant issue related to removing the fire pit then keep it till they move out. With luck you will not have any issues.

When issues arise you may then choose to get rid of it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied

Remove it when the current tenants move out. Why upset the apple cart with long term tenants when there is no need to? 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Ray
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

I would remove it as well, doesn't seem worth the risk for a rental property. Same reason pools, trampolines etc shouldn't really be allowed, depending on the market your in.