Does anyone use low rents and high deposits to get good tenants?

Does anyone use low rents and high deposits to get good tenants?

Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 79 votes

I'm wondering if anyone has used that. Slightly lower than market rents to keep good tenants and using higher than average deposits to get good tenants?  I find that standard one month rent deposits rarely cover my costs during a turnover.

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y
Jeff T. I’m a landlord and a tenant myself so I feel I can offer a bit of insight to both sides. For me as a renter I would personally pay a higher security deposit (say 1.5 months rent, assuming one months rent is typical deposit) for around 100-125 off market rent for a 12 month lease. As a landlord, I would rather have a normal security deposit and market rent. Market rent gives me my cash flow. Through diligent screening yo can get market rent and still get good tenants
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Earth · Member since 2017 · 297 posts · 187 votes
    8y
    I upgrade my rental, then use high rent and high security deposit to get good income and good credit score tenants.
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Jeff T. I’m a landlord and a tenant myself so I feel I can offer a bit of insight to both sides. For me as a renter I would personally pay a higher security deposit (say 1.5 months rent, assuming one months rent is typical deposit) for around 100-125 off market rent for a 12 month lease. As a landlord, I would rather have a normal security deposit and market rent. Market rent gives me my cash flow. Through diligent screening yo can get market rent and still get good tenants
  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 79 votes
    8y
    Mary L. Caleb Heimsoth Thanks for the input. I think it depends on the area. If Mary's rentals are in Oakland I can see her plan working. I'm in a more ruralish area of Florida. I can see Calebs point about cash flow. I'm not talking about a large rent reduction but just slightly below market. My tenant turnovers tend to wipe out months of rent, so I'm trying to guard against that if I can.
  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    8y

    Rents are rising in my area.  I raise the rents to market at turnover, but limit rent increases to about 3% annually.  I also pro-rate the second month.  I do not want tents who cannot come up with a full month and a SD.  This, plus screening, seems to be working well, and provides an incentive to stay.  I give a 60 day notice of rent increases.  I want my tenants to shop around and realize what a good deal they are getting.  I have never lost a tenant to a rent increase or had a tenant complain about their increase.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 79 votes
    8y

    @Bettina F.  That's a good point about the rent increases. I have been doing about 3%, but increased it slightly more recently (still under market) but caused a couple tenants to leave. Well, one left, the other had to be evicted, but that probably would have happened anyway.

    I have an apartment I am upgrading and want to make sure I have a good tenant, so I am thinking of going with a higher deposit, since it is upgraded.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.