Finished two painful eviction/move out. Yes it hurts, but DO IT!

Finished two painful eviction/move out. Yes it hurts, but DO IT!

Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hey guys!

Just wanted to write up a quick post about the most recent tenant related happenings in my life as a landlord.  In the past month I've gone through the process of getting rid of my two troublesome (inherited) tenants.  They both paid on time, however they created a lot of drama in my multi-unit buildings.  It was getting to the point where I dreaded going anywhere near those houses because I knew I'd have to interact with their craziness (Let alone my poor tenants who shared the buildings with them).  

One was a section 8 woman who left all of her garbage in the basement, or burned it in the backyard.  My tenants in the other side are the nicest people in the world, and were barely able to deal with her.  I had recently found out she was allowing 3 other people (heroine junkies) to rent the house, so I threatened to report her for DSS fraud if they all didn't move out.  It hurt a financially (a lot).  I went from having a paying tenant to a full gut/remodel job. However, I was finally able to go in and fix all of the cob job patches the old landlord did.  We are just finishing it up now, and it cost me roughly $8k to do it.  But now I have a brand new apartment, an awesome new tenant, and my tenants next door absolutely adore me.

The other was a paranoid schizophrenic hoarder who seemed to make it her job to make the building look like garbage.  She would also do all sorts of insane things (like wander around the town with giant 12" shears, saying she will slaughter anyone who rapes her daughter).  I would get concerned calls from cops, psych ward profs, concerned neighborhood citizens, ect.  I one time had to call 911 because I thought she shot my plumber.  But she always paid in cash, on time, no hassles.  However, she made the other tenants in the building very uncomfortable and would let random homeless men in to sleep in the hallway.  Again, it hurt financially to evict her, but I had to dispel the dark cloud looming over my head anytime I thought about that building.  I spent two whole days moving all of her stuff to her storage locker, and 2 full truck and trailer dump runs to clear out all the garbage.  We should be finished cleaning today and I have a young PA ready to rent it.  

All in all, it has been a stressful and costly month.  At times I would wonder to myself "should I have just ignored them for 6 more months and continued collecting the check?  Deal with them in the spring?".  But in my heart I knew that wasn't the correct answer.  And now that it's over, I couldn't be happier.  I'm now proud to say I own these buildings again.  

So if you guys find yourselves in a similar situation, please heed my advise.  Just do it.  It hurts financially, and it's a lot of work, but it feels SO GOOD when it's all over.  Don't let troublesome tenants cast dark clouds over your days.  We work too hard and deserve tenants who will treat us and our properties with respect.

3Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Crystal River, FL · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 56 votes
9y
Good for you for doing the right thing. I have a similar scenario with a boarding house situation. The problem is it's my mother in law that's the wild card. A lot harder to deal with haha.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Crystal River, FL · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 56 votes
    9y
    Good for you for doing the right thing. I have a similar scenario with a boarding house situation. The problem is it's my mother in law that's the wild card. A lot harder to deal with haha.
  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 79 votes
    9y
    Report her anyway. There are single mothers and disabled people waiting on a voucher. At least write a letter to her caseworker.
  • Real Estate Agent · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2017 · 213 posts · 150 votes
    9y

    @Michael Ablan Thanks for sharing. This is the dark side of buy and hold investing that everyone dreads, but your story shows that there are benefits to going through with it and it can work out better in the end once you take the plunge. Good luck with your new group of tenants. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Wayne Bodley - Yeah....that would make things much harder for sure!  I feel for ya! 

    @Lindel Turner  Yeah, I agree. I've considered it several times.  The only thing holding me back is her kids.  Idk what would happen to them if it got taken from her

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto ON, Canada · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Michael, thank you for sharing! This year alone we had to evict several tenants due to non-payment, harassment. I often ask myself, what do I get as landlords, not getting rent and still need to pay money to evict them, and when they move out, they leave trash in the apartment. And you are stressful when you get their emails or phone calls from them, and seeing words like f***, slumlord, threats. Thank you for highlighting the wonderful life when we get them out and get better tenants. You are right, when we get troublesome tenants, don't just look at the rent paid on time, also think about the energy and time we wasted dealing with them. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.