Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ana Hyler
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
rent payment - What have you been offered for it?

Ana Hyler
  • Lincoln, NE
Posted Feb 18 2010, 03:34

We have several SFH's rentals and now we started renovating/managing a 12-plex we just purchased. One of the tenants got the 3 day notice after a month and a half of promising to pay rent. Well...the 3rd day was up on Wednesday night...that Tuesday night..at 11:40PM...we get a call from the tenants Mom...offering a bracelet as payment for her daughter's rent. My husband who took the call told her we have a rental business...we are not the red cross NOR a pond shop. She was out by the end of her third day...only after telling her Mom that we would also take her daughter to court for back rent and damages and that we will make sure to dent her records. Anyways...I've never been offered STUFF for rent. And by the way...SFH's are a lot easier to manage then appartment buildings!
Have any of you taken something other then money as rent payment?

User Stats

Votes
Daniil Kleyman
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Replied Feb 18 2010, 03:50

Never have and never will. Would a professional management company ever accept anything other than cold hard cash? Absolutely not. You shouldn't either if you treat your business like an actual business.

User Stats

Votes
Ana Hyler
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Feb 18 2010, 04:23

Right...which is what I wrote on my post...I just think it's really funny...and it's the first time I actually get this offer from a tenant.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!
Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Feb 18 2010, 14:22

I had a guy offer to give me a couple of muscle cars for the down payment on a house. With me carrying the mortgage, naturally.

The cars were rusted out junk up on blocks. Not that I would have taken cars in trade for a house, but someone might if the cars were in good condition. I don't think anyone would have taken these cars without charging a big fee to haul them away.

No, the only thing tenants ever offer me instead of cash for the rent is a big empty promise accompanied by an even bigger lie.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Feb 18 2010, 18:10

During the gap between the eviction and the Sheriff showing up, I got a call from the tenants girlfriend saying that the tenant had just won a large disability settlement and if I didn't have him evicted and just waited another month I'd get all my back rent and all costs, etc., and if I would consider this, she'd get the lawyer to call me. Chuckling, I asked who the lawyer was. Click.

User Stats

Votes
Ingrid Nagy
  • Property Manager
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied Feb 18 2010, 18:13

I did some bookkeeping years ago for a little old landlord who was the funniest guy - he leased out rooming houses and he took out rent payments in "trade" from some of the ladies. He is 83 years old now LOL

User Stats

Votes
Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Replied Feb 18 2010, 20:41

All I've ever been offered is:

hot air
empty promises
fast talking
vague innuendos
hard-luck stories
don't worry 'cause I've found religion
trust me
trust my mom
new job starts next month
some threats to call lawyers

and on and on......

User Stats

Votes
Michael Rossi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Replied Feb 18 2010, 20:46
My husband who took the call told her we have a rental business...we are not the red cross NOR a pond shop.

I'm not so sure, it looks like you've got some pond "scum" renting your apartment. LOL!

User Stats

Votes
James Ward
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ocala, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ocala, FL
Replied Feb 18 2010, 20:47

More people need to post about the strange items they have been offered.

Thanks for the post, this was fun reading!

User Stats

Votes
Ana Hyler
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Aug 11 2010, 03:52

This time I've been offered cleaning services...I actually took it !
She said she is having a tough time coming up with all of rent money...but she can clean and stuff for me. I took her offer...she is now cleaning 2 of my 6-plexs twice a month (common areas) hallway, stairs, laundry room, and some outside common areas. I'm discounting $80 from her $450 rent.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Aug 11 2010, 05:35
Originally posted by abhyler:
This time I've been offered cleaning services...I actually took it !
She said she is having a tough time coming up with all of rent money...but she can clean and stuff for me. I took her offer...she is now cleaning 2 of my 6-plexs twice a month (common areas) hallway, stairs, laundry room, and some outside common areas. I'm discounting $80 from her $450 rent.

Be careful - this sounds like you now have an employee, with all of the obligations that are implied by employment relationships (income tax withholding, insuring for workman's comp, bonding in case of theft in unit rented by somebody, etc).

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Aug 11 2010, 05:48

For down payments on houses I've had for sale: a Harley Davidson, and another time, a 32' cabin cruiser. It was about 30 years old and I'm sure it had 20 years of deferred maintenance.

User Stats

Votes
Ana Hyler
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Aug 11 2010, 05:52

Steve, thanks for the advice on possible issues. I never thought of it that way - I will be watchful. :cool:

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Mike McKinzie
  • Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Westminster, CO
Replied Aug 11 2010, 06:51

One time my father got a brand new Lincoln Continental for his commission on a sale. Like someone else posted, sometimes I will let a tenant do some work for a discounted rent. I also offer a referral fee if a tenant gets a tenant for one of my vacancies, usually $100.00.

The strangest reason I ever got for not paying rent was that the house was haunted. They didn't want to move but they didn't want to pay rent.

Tenants have pea brains anyway, so cold hard cash is the only way to really go in this business.

User Stats

Votes
Andy J.
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 11 2010, 07:20

I have been offered sprinkler system repair services for a discount. Only about $150 worth though.

I will take anything that I can easily resale for a hefty profit rather than a rent check any day of the week. Maybe slightly more work, but a lot more money.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Minge
  • Property Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 11 2010, 12:02

A year or so ago we went through a twilight zone period where 5 out of 7 renters in a short period of time were all strippers. When I say we, it is myself (female) and my cousin (male). My cousin is an ex Navy Seal and he has a body that is a poster child for the most chisled perfect body. Two of them offered to barter their services with him in exchange for rent.

I had one tenant arrested for carrying a kilo of drugs in his car. He tried to get me to pull an additional kilo out of a vent in my rental property, sell it and bring cash to Alabama to bail him out. Instead I gave the cops a key to the front door for them to do a search warrant and told them to check the vent.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Patterson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portage, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portage, MI
Replied Aug 11 2010, 12:32

In my younger days....I would sometimes get offers of something other than $$$ from a tenant. I would tell her to ask my wife, since she is the one that wrote the mortgage check. No wild stories, but we were all better off!
Bill

User Stats

Votes
Greg B.
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Replied Aug 11 2010, 12:43

rent payment - What have you been offered for it?

excuses and empty promises
:)