Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Beam
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Deposit returns for inherited tenants?

Dustin Beam
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Sep 8 2016, 06:55

Hello Beautiful people of BP,

So I had 3 tenants vacate at the end of last month.  One was evicted,  so no deposit return there,  the other two left after their leases ended.  

One of the two left the apartment disgusting.  She did not take all her property out,  nothing cleaned,  animal feces and feces stains on the floor,  carpet ruined.  I do not intend to return the deposit to her. 

The other tenant actually did a good job cleaning,  but living room carpet has big dark spot in it,  I assume it can't be removed.  But more to he point,  the main entry door jamb is trashed. So is the upstairs bedroom door jamb,  and the main floor bedroom door is jacked to the point it can't close. This tenant has inquired about the deposit return,  and did clean it well (carpets excepted). For the record,  lots of pics were taken. 

So my question is how to handle the last tenant. I have no proof of the condition the apartment was in when they moved in.  I can't believe the doors were in that bad of shape. I've heard from other tenants that her and her boyfriend fought often and loudly and I suspect that's how the doors got damaged. If I pay someone to fix those doors,  that alone would probably take the deposit.  

How would you handle a situation like that? 

Loading replies...